Terminal bar question

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonype

Grounding cable to small screw connection on terminal bar... shouldn't have lug kit additions been provided - see bottom of the photo

Attachments

• DSCF0138.jpg
    DSCF0138.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 0

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Those bars are typically go for up to #4 AWG conductors (check the label in the panel). If those GEC's are #4 or smaller and the bar is rated for that size it's fine the way that it is.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Is that GEC even stripped where the bug tap is attached? I zoom in and it looks like the insulation on the GEC is still covering it.

If you're talking about that tap from Verizon outside the panel I think that's one of those "piercing" taps. It has a sharp pointed piece that pierces the insulation as it's tightened down. Similar to how landscape lights attach to the wire string.

Andy Delle

How bout the red wire with green tape? :)

This probably one of those silly IG circuits in a wood framed structure. I saw this in one of those How-To books. They run a 12/3 to an IG receptacle and use the red as the IG. Nothing wrong however with IG circuits in a commercial setting with metal framed construction.

But here's the farce of it all. The box is plastic so the bare ground is just cut or free hanging. Since the plastic box is nailed to a wood stud, where'e the ground loop problem? And since it's un-shielded Romex, there is no difference electrically between using the red wire or the ground.

When you look at it from an engineering perspective, any dedicated circuit in a wood framed building with plastic boxes are by default an IG circuit. Installing an IG receptacle does nothing to improve any ground noise.

It's safe and code compliant AFAIK, but it's a waste of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.