Terminating grounded conductors

Status
Not open for further replies.
can i install a neutral bar in a junction box above a 200 amp panel and terminate all of the branch circuit grounded conductors on it and just bring one 3/0 nuetral conductor down to the panel nuetral bar.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Where are the un grounded circuit conductors? Are they run with the neutrals? Is there no room in the panel to add a neutral bar?

jumper

Doesn't 200.4 in the 2011 prohibit this?

200.4 Neutral Conductors. Neutral conductors shall not
be used for more than one branch circuit, for more than one
multiwire branch circuit, or for more than one set of ungrounded
feeder conductors unless specifically permitted
elsewhere in this Code.

iwire

Staff member
can i install a neutral bar in a junction box above a 200 amp panel and terminate all of the branch circuit grounded conductors on it and just bring one 3/0 nuetral conductor down to the panel nuetral bar.

In my opinion maybe under previous codes but not under the 2011 NEC except for specific panels with auxiliary gutters.

Where are the un grounded circuit conductors? Are they run with the neutrals? Is there no room in the panel to add a neutral bar?
The ungrounded and grounded conductors are in a walker floor raceway panel skirt below a panel that we are demoing and replacing with a new one we are trying to clean it up .We also need to demo a few of the circuits and are having trouble identifying which neutral conductors go with which ungrounded conductors as some of the neutrals are misspliced in the walker duct and i have multiple neutrals coming back with unbalanced load from one circuit. I want to land all of the neutral conductors in the walker duct on a neutral bar and extend just one 3/0 neutral up to the new panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.