Terminator SkyNet Version 1

Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC

Here is the latest report of an expert system (ie) artificial intelligence that writes its own adaptive code, to break thru computer security. Its a technically boring read, but the point is capability now exists for broad undetectable invasion.

Banks, server farms, utility automation controls, pentagon nuclear launch systems, and personal computers have historically become fair game for security breaches, usually discovered long after they occur.

Computer security breaches typically collect intellectual property, state intelligence, log-in credentials with passwords, or coordinate denial of service, and ransomware attacks from vulnerable operating systems, such as Microsoft windows. Most IOT, and router hardware are also known vectors hijacked as remote zombie networks.

The difference with adaptive AI ransomware breaches, which lurk without causing detectable damage, is the potential for mass financial ID theft against individuals, not eligible for FDIC insurance due to their own electronic activity, much less after indemnifying banks & brokerages against such loss.

After banks mass foreclose on collateral assets, forcing families into homeless encampments, it could take months or years before government believes individuals were actual victims of a coordinated identity theft attack.

Since there is no honor among thieves, any disgruntled actor could also turn this adaptive AI capability into a weapon that disconnects its master, or unleashes other autonomous disruption akin to the Terminator movie theme.

Last edited:

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
50 years ago I worked for a guy who truly believed everything was going south back then, so he was buying gold, mostly Krugerrands (South African gold coins). He would go on and on about how, when civil society failed, gold would be the only viable currency. 10 years later he died of cancer (major smoker) and afterward, his family pleaded with everyone he knew to see if he ever told someone where he buried them. He had told his wife, but they were not there, so they figured he had moved them right before he died. I recently heard that 20 years later, his son wanted to sell the house, but not potentially leave the gold behind. So he invested in a pro level metal detector and found them, deep underground. His dad had amassed 125 ounces between 1970 and 1988, when they found them it was worth roughly $100k. If they still have them now, it’s worth over twice that.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
...His dad had amassed 125 ounces between 1970 and 1988, when they found them it was worth roughly $100k. If they still have them now, it’s worth over twice that.
Actually the inflation adjusted price of gold is about the same as it was in 1979, the middle of his buying period. If he died around 1988 and they found the gold 20 years later then it had lost roughly half it's value against the dollar when they found it. You are correct that it has since gained that value back, although for most of the time since then it has been lower. But the cash would have almost certainly been more wisely invested in real estate or stocks.

ramsy

Occupation
50 years ago I worked for a guy who truly believed everything was going south back then..
The United States removed the gold standard around 50 years ago in 1971. MS DOS was invented in 1981, the first Web browser was named Nexus in 1991, Mike Holt's code forum was created around 2001, and this week Going Linux podcast episode #456 reports a distribution of Linux that runs games out of the box, including Microsoft Flight Simulator.

However, running the most secure operating system in the world isn't enough to protect property or finances if not monitored for theft, much less when tricked into giving your ID to someone pretending to be your bank.

Not getting screwed is a full time job for individuals, regardless of economic cycles.

ramsy

Occupation
Homeowners are everybody's sucker

JUNE 11, 2024 / CBS NEWS
..no plans of moving from their five-bedroom ranch home when they were alerted by friends of the "for sale by owner" listing on the real estate website showing photographs of their house..

"Our house has been hacked on Zillow," ..this person that has taken over my house online. I've had zero help from Zillow,"

the phony seller chalking it up to a charitable tax break.

"My family and I own many houses across the U.S.," the listing read. "Once a year we sell one or a few of our homes to first time buyers for under $25,000. This is done to bless a family or individual that needs it, but also as a tax write off for us."

The listing directed those interested to call "Mandi" at a number with a Las Vegas area code. Upon calling the number, the newspaper's reporters were told to send $200 through an online banking app, which would be followed with a home walk-through.

"We have people showing up at our house, knocking. They want to come in and see our house,"

Last edited:

ramsy

Occupation
My Gen-Z daughter just graduated business school with an entrepreneurial concentration, and found condemned properties in Italy from earthquake damage, advertised on social media, being auctioned for token amounts.

I explained what economics class ignores, is when government refuses to help rebuild after natural disasters, and banks have no equity for construction loan collateral, the municipality continues to demand property taxes, taking possession for the auction price of the tax liens.

Daughter says, they're not letting contractors convert them to Airbnb or vacation rentals, since they need young families to grow their community with new blood.

I explained that college teaches the desire of economics, but lags in experience, since contractors may not want condemned properties, with the burden of infrastructure repair to roads, and buildings, after government was too cheap to declare a disaster area, eligible for Italian FEMA.

She's 25, realizes blue collar jobs can't afford housing in America, she needs to believe in big dreams, but relies on YouTube for news, and checks facts against other social media videos.

The only time she confides in me, is after her money is lost, and angel money is needed for the next investment.

She is an honor student that graduated with full scholarship, and remains the perfect specimen of blissful hope, to exceed modest means by selling social-media schemes to vulnerable beneficiaries of unearned inheritance.