Terre Haute & Indianapolis Electrical Exam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buck Parrish

Any body taken the Indianapolis or Terre Haute electrical masters exam?
I was wondering if it is a open book test ? Multiple choice or fill in the blanks ? If you can get approved to take the exam , by my NC State license ? If it is given twice a year or any time you get approoved ? etc...
Does the IBEW sit on the city electrical board?
I'm use to a state license. Any draw backs from a city licensing vs state ? Any info would be appreciated ,Thanks in advance.

acwservices

While I have not taken either of these exams, I did find some info on them at Prometric's webpage (Prometric is the testing agent that administers the exams) Their site states that the Master exam is open book, 100 questions, with a four hour time limit. As far as your NC license goes, you may be able to qualify without taking the test. You will have to submit all of the required documentation to the Board, and they will make a decision. The main drawback to a city or county license is that one is required for every city or county that you plan to work in. Unlike a state license, which of couse is good statewide.

Buck Parrish

Thanks for the input.
Up their in Terre Hautte Ind. they only have residential (Single Family Dwelling) or a masters as far as I know. (correct me if I'm wrong) city licensing.
I guess you guys in Pennsylvania are use to that.

It seems to me you pretty much need a masters if you plan on staying in bussiness long.
Some where I seen a fill in the blank test. It had things related to equipment maintnance on the test. Such as PLC's etc...
That got me thinking.
If the test is based on the NEC only and open book, with calculator. I should be fine. I'll have to brush up on my load calculations.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I have the Evansville, Indiana masters, it was about the same as the Tallahasse, Florida journeyman license that I have, did the Block test. Evansville did have a couple of local code questions, but they gave you the local code to read before the test.

Buck Parrish

hillbilly1 said:
I have the Evansville, Indiana masters, it was about the same as the Tallahasse, Florida journeyman license that I have, did the Block test. Evansville did have a couple of local code questions, but they gave you the local code to read before the test.

Oh good, thanks Hillbilly
You say it's about the same as the Tallahasse journeymens license. Was that hard. Was it multiple choice?:smile:

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Yes, it was mostly multiple guess, the usual couple of trick questions, Did the closed book portion in about 15-20 minutes. Open book took the usual dig and find. I take that back about the local code questions, that was on my Michigan journeymans test. Its been about 10 years since I took it, so they may have made a bunch of changes. At that time there were no business questions on it, unlike the Georgia masters exam. If I remember right I used Mike Holts journeymans practice book, and a lot of the questions in it were almost carbon copied on the test.

Buck Parrish

hillbilly1 said:
If I remember right I used Mike Holts journeymans practice book, and a lot of the questions in it were almost carbon copied on the test.

Really, I had no idea that it was that good. Any body else used it?

Status
Not open for further replies.