Tesla charging

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickelec

Are any of you guys familiar with the inner workings or the ins and outs of Tesla charges

I have a customer who we set up a 50 amp plug I believe it was to plug in his Tesla at the moment he's getting 28 miles per hour of charge

When he goes to a charging station in the parking lot he gets 38 MIles per hour of charge do the Tesla type 2 charging stations actually put out more at the same current and voltage or is that Tesla charger supplied with a larger circuit I'm not too familiar with how they work

Installing a Tesla charger as opposed to a plug at his residence any info would be great

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

tthh

Occupation
Retired Engineer
There are a lot of options. My guess is the parking lot charger has a 60A breaker (48A continuous) whereas the home charge has a 50A breaker (40A continuous). The charger will deal with just about any feed and charge accordingly.

retirede

“Miler per hour of charge” is not a valid measurement.
That’s like filling you car with “x miles of gasoline”.
It needs to be expressed a a charge rate in KW.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
but that is the way people think about it. they don't really care how many kw-hr of charge they got. just how far they can go on the charge.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
If using the standard charge cord with a 50 amp adapter the maximum charge curent is 32 amps. Since many 50 amp recdeptacle are connected to 40 amp circuits the rate is based on 80% of 40 amps. If you want to get the full benifit of the 50 amp circuit a wall connector needs to be used.

JDB3

To me, (I don't know anything about electric vehicle chargers), it seems if the vehicle is "fully charged", then you should get the same miles per charge whatever you use to charge with.
Perhaps they are referring to the amount of time the vehicle is plugged in to be charged ? :unsure:

tthh

Occupation
Retired Engineer
To me, (I don't know anything about electric vehicle chargers), it seems if the vehicle is "fully charged", then you should get the same miles per charge whatever you use to charge with.
Perhaps they are referring to the amount of time the vehicle is plugged in to be charged ? :unsure:
As you suspected, it is the "miles per hour" of charge the OP's client is complaining about.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
As you suspected, it is the "miles per hour" of charge the OP's client is complaining about.
Quite simply, it is miles per (hour of charge), not (miles per hour) of charge.
And if you have a particular reference driving profile (distance at speed, number of accelerations, level track) and reference vehicle (make and model, with options) then you can indeed talk about filling a tank with some number of miles of gasoline.
But since the freeway miles per unit of energy will vary significantly from one vehicle to another, a "miles per hour of charge" has to be in the context of a specific vehicle. In this case a Tesla fleet average or a specific model.

retirede

Here is what Tesla says about their Wall Connector:
8a2378048076e00c5e29fe9a3ddbee7b.jpg

The older versions used to be capable of 100A installation. Maybe that’s what he has at work?

Also note that the miles of Charger per hour is labeled “Max”.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
It's valid enough. It just means we have to make assumptions about how many miles per kWh the car gets, and fudge factor for efficiency.
A decent guess for most EVs is they get 3 miles per kWh stored, so 28miles-charged-per-hour/3miles-per-kWh = 9.33kWh/h = 9.3kW. Which is a bit less than 40A*240V.
Whereas 38 miles-charged-per-hour comes out to a bit over 50A.

So tthh's guess in post 2 seem reasonable. Also makes sense for either the Model 3 or Model Y in your chart.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The 100 amp max is for power sharing a single circuit for multiple Wall Connectors. You set the circuit size and the combined power of all Wall connectors will not exceed the amount of the setting. None of the cars will charge at the full 100 amps (80 amp continuous).

marmathsen

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The 100 amp max is for power sharing a single circuit for multiple Wall Connectors. You set the circuit size and the combined power of all Wall connectors will not exceed the amount of the setting. None of the cars will charge at the full 100 amps (80 amp continuous).

Really? Hmm. Don't remember reading that in the literature.

Are you saying the 100A circuit I set up several years ago was a waste for the one car they have?

Rob G

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Are you saying the 100A circuit I set up several years ago was a waste for the one car they have?
Tesla has had 4 different generations of the Wall Connector, I believe, and their initial mass production vehicle, the Model S, has had various options for on-board charger over the years. I believe that both have been capable of 80A continuous charging at one point, although I don't think the current offerings support that.

Cheers, Wayne

wyreman

Occupation
electrical contractor
plug connector is deliberately limited to upsell the wall connector, i know
got training to be certified as a tesla dude

retirede

Tesla has had 4 different generations of the Wall Connector, I believe, and their initial mass production vehicle, the Model S, has had various options for on-board charger over the years. I believe that both have been capable of 80A continuous charging at one point, although I don't think the current offerings support that.

Cheers, Wayne

That’s how I remember it as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.