TESLA SOLAR project

Status
Not open for further replies.

7Electric

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Hello, Im an electrical contractor in Orange County. I did an electrical panel upgrade to 200amp for a customer recently. The install was for a Tesla solar and powerwall project. I recieved notification from thr Tesla engineer that our panel was incorrect. They needed a 200amp main breaker panel that could take a 200 branch circuit. After checking specs on panel I saw that max branch circuit rating on that panel only allowed 100amps. I want to know if anyone has encountered this same situation.

bkludecke

Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
See if there is a lug block kit or part available for that service panel. They just plug onto the bussing like a circuit breaker would and allow the whole load on the buss to be used. The protection then is the 200 amp main. We use them all the time to run full sized feeders from the all-in-one service panels. The label on the service panel should tell you if that would be in compliance with the listing, or you may need to get the info from the manufacturer's catalog.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
What brand is your loadcenter? I assume this is for backfeeding, in which case I think you’ll have to install a hold down kit for the sub-feed lugs. The issue there is having a stud for the hold down kit in a MCB panel. I’m not familiar with this on every brand of panel out there though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
A Q2200BH might work, but check the exact wording of that panel. I think it's a long shot, since you probably don't have the proper wiring space.

There may be other solutions. They probably don't really need 200A for example. But that's gonna get you into the weeds.

You're going to run into this more and more. Read line diagrams carefully. If they didn't give you a line diagram with the 200A sub breaker it's on them, make them pay for the redo.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
What brand is your loadcenter? I assume this is for backfeeding, in which case I think you’ll have to install a hold down kit for the sub-feed lugs. ...

Not true. Common misconception. See 705.12 (E). (2020 reference, it's been there under other numbers for several cycles).

Using a subfeed lug instead of a breaker could raise other issues, although we'd need more info to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.