Test Equipment Neutral & Grounding

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're installing a set of loads for a lab and were unsure of the requirements for neutrals in a 4 wire WYE setup.
There is equipment inside supplying a maximum (and controlled) amperage of 1100A in a WYE to a load, with four 3 phase sets of 4/0 going out of the building to the loads. The four loads then have their neutrals tied together internally and are tied to building ground thereafter as one. The loads are all in parallel.

The load on the neutral would be minimal, since it would potentially only carry the harmonic content of the output (max ~5%, or about 180A total).

If 250.66 is appropriate, then 3/0 is the maximum conductor I would need for this main neutral going to building ground.

But 310.15 is somewhat confusing here, and I could interpret it to say that I need to have a neutral here with ampacity for the full current capacity of all four loads (1100A).

Can someone shed some light on this for me? Thank you already.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
We're installing a set of loads for a lab and were unsure of the requirements for neutrals in a 4 wire WYE setup.
There is equipment inside supplying a maximum (and controlled) amperage of 1100A in a WYE to a load, with four 3 phase sets of 4/0 going out of the building to the loads. The four loads then have their neutrals tied together internally and are tied to building ground thereafter as one. The loads are all in parallel.

The load on the neutral would be minimal, since it would potentially only carry the harmonic content of the output (max ~5%, or about 180A total).

If 250.66 is appropriate, then 3/0 is the maximum conductor I would need for this main neutral going to building ground.

But 310.15 is somewhat confusing here, and I could interpret it to say that I need to have a neutral here with ampacity for the full current capacity of all four loads (1100A).

Can someone shed some light on this for me? Thank you already.

250.66 is your grounding electrode conductor , not your neutral.

Welcome to the forum..:thumbsup:

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
But in a WYE system, what is the difference?
Thanks for the quick reply!
In any system with a neutral, the neutral may cary current during normal operation, as well as during a single-phasing of the load.
The EGC wil carry current only under a fault condition. (E.g. phase to ground.)

In any system with a neutral, the neutral may cary current during normal operation, as well as during a single-phasing of the load.
The EGC wil carry current only under a fault condition. (E.g. phase to ground.)

I suppose I worded my question incorrectly. Naturally the neutral here will be carrying current, but small amounts as mentioned.

Do I have to size this neutral for the full ampacity of the current carrying conductors for the three phases, or for only the currents that I expect to see on the neutral?

Do I have to size this neutral for the full ampacity of the current carrying conductors for the three phases, or for only the currents that I expect to see on the neutral?

Under a phase to neutral fault, you'd want the OCP to trip before the neutral lead melts.

Assuming it counts as a feeder, 215.2 says "The size of the feeder circuit grounded conductor shall not be smaller than that required by 250.122, except that 250.122(F) shall not apply where grounded conductors are run in parallel." and 250.122 tells us "The equipment grounding conductor size shall not be smaller than determined by 250.122(A) based on the rating of the branch"

Status
Not open for further replies.