Test Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
A question on a journeyman test goes something like this: Lamps above energized wires need to be:

1. wires need to be insulated red
2. locking disconnect needs to be used
3. lamps need to be 6 1/2 feet above grade

does anyone know the answer to this question?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Possibly. But we don't take tests for our members. Tell us what you think, why you think that, and where you have looked to find the answer, and them perhaps we will help you take the next step.

All questions used in the code exam have been painstakingly researched, although the answers have not. Ambiguous, misleading, or poorly worded questions are par for the course. Sticklers for the truth or accuracy should get their own codes.

All opinions expressed on this forum are well-reasoned and insightful. Needless to say, they are not those of the International House of Electricity, its members, or lackeys. Anyone who says otherwise is itching for a fight. (With apologies to "Whad'ya Know?")

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
A question on a journeyman test goes something like this: Lamps above energized wires need to be:

1. wires need to be insulated red
2. locking disconnect needs to be used
3. lamps need to be 6 1/2 feet above grade

Are you sure of the wording here. Lamps above energized wires need to be---i. Now finish the sentence with the words you used for the answers.

#3 is the only answer that responds to the lamp question-- I am not saying this is the answer but something is amiss.

480sparky

Are you sure of the wording here. Lamps above energized wires need to be---i. Now finish the sentence with the words you used for the answers.

#3 is the only answer that responds to the lamp question-- I am not saying this is the answer but something is amiss.

Agreed. I don't think there's anything in the NEC about red wires and discos needed above lamps. Choice #3 is the most lgoical, but probably comes from building codes.

I think there's more involved in the question itself.... a specific installation, or method perhaps.

Karl H

Possibly. But we don't take tests for our members. Tell us what you think, why you think that, and where you have looked to find the answer, and them perhaps we will help you take the next step.

This is something I learned from my E class. That I would'nt have understood

if I was'nt in school. It's not if the answer is correct or not, It's how you

approach the question in order to come up with a solution. Am I correct?

iaov

All questions used in the code exam have been painstakingly researched, although the answers have not. Ambiguous, misleading, or poorly worded questions are par for the course. Sticklers for the truth or accuracy should get their own codes.

All opinions expressed on this forum are well-reasoned and insightful. Needless to say, they are not those of the International House of Electricity, its members, or lackeys. Anyone who says otherwise is itching for a fight. (With apologies to "Whad'ya Know?")
That show and Car Talk make Saturdays my favorite day to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.