TESTERS

Status
Not open for further replies.

fin

A FRIEND HAS A HOUSE IN N. ELUTHRA ( BAHAMAS ) WHERE THE POWER FROM THE UTILITY HAS A LOT OF SURGE PROBLEMS. I WOULD LIKE TO BUY A METER THAT I COULD HOOK UP AND LEAVE THERE FOR A WHILE TO RECORD THE CHANGES IN VOLTAGE (OVER A MONTH SAY ) I'M NOT SURE WHAT MODEL # (FLUKE OR WHATEVER)TO GET? ANY HELP ON THIS, AND TO SOLVE THE PROBLEM WOULD BE APPRICIATED! THANKS, RICK

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrical Engineer
Re: TESTERS

Please turn off the ALL CAPS feature. It makes the post more difficult to read. It is also considered impolite, as though you were SHOUTING at us.

catchtwentytwo

If the cost is important you'd probably do best with a data logger similar to these by AEMC Instruments.
http://www.aemc.com/products/html/view.asp?id=3&dbname=products Many other companies produce these, try a Google Search for Data Loggers. Make sure they have an accessable toll-free support number.

Other than that, you'd have to buy or rent a professional PQ analyzer, but they aren't cheap or easily set up by a casual user.

[ December 06, 2005, 11:35 AM: Message edited by: catchtwentytwo ]

charlie tuna

are you ready to spend 8k? your best bet is to rent one --- but make sure you know how to operate and understand the instrument you rent. otherwise you may rent it for a month and return it only to find out -- your data isn't there or it only recorded for one day. i own two metrosonics dataloggers and had to rent four more units to monitor some hospital's emergency loads. the units i rented were very difficult to program and download. the manufacturer even had a problem getting the data out of one of them. and make sure your renting a unit that can record the amount of power you are interested in. and it must be a certified instrument and rated for power utility measurements--"ansee 2c".........

catchtwentytwo

Have you tried reaching out to the utility to see if they will help? Or what they would accept as "evidence"? If you can get an email contact, that should solve the phone call cost issue.

Your profile says you are an electrician, it makes more sense for you to make contact. Just don't accuse them of being the problem, for all you know the utility may be within their mandated SLA.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC

I'm having similar problems, trying to find a power quality instrument.

I want something to verify v-drop & harmarnic calibration of my Shuretest ST-1THD, which also shows Min. & Max. RMS volts (H-N and G-N), for however long it's plugged in, but does not log data.

For USD ~$2500 new, or rent $177.wk / $236.mo, I found a data-logging Fluke 43B at www.electrorent.com , but I wont pay that for something I cant keep.

rudolph8

I will try to answer your question as asked. Although there are many testers to chose from it appears that a simple data logger would suffice for your application. Some of the least expensive would be the AEMC "Simple Loggers". Mitchell Instrument Co. has these and many others in there catalog. Just like most testers one could spend as much or as little based on the conditions and parameters required. We own several and they are specific to the requirements needed. Hope this helps. Feel free to post any other questions.

bdarnell

Occupation
Retired Engineer

If you are convinced the utility is the source, call them and ask their power quality dept. (assuming they have one) to investigate. Cost = $0.00

Status
Not open for further replies.