Occupation
Electrician
Let's say I working on some electrical and I'm testing for voltage

From
Ground to black I should get 120v
Ground to red I should get 120v
Ground to neutral I should get 0v
Since ground and neutral are at the same potential

But there are times the ground can be energized because there is a problem in the system

How would I test the ground to make sure its not energized ??

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Let's say I working on some electrical and I'm testing for voltage

From
Ground to black I should get 120v
Ground to red I should get 120v
Ground to neutral I should get 0v
Since ground and neutral are at the same potential

But there are times the ground can be energized because there is a problem in the system

How would I test the ground to make sure its not energized ??
Ground is too vague of a term for an in depth discussion on electrical. Start using Ground only when referring to a connection to the earth.

1) Ground = Earth
2) Grounded = Intentionally connected to the earth
3) Equipment Ground, Equipment Grounding, Equipment Grounding Conductor = A path to clear a fault

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
My #1 tester is a Knopp K60 solenoid tester. I only use a voltmeter when I need to know the voltage.

A non-contact tester can be handy for finding voltage relative to the earth or the local ground plane.

Maybe you mean what do you test against; i.e., what you use as a reference, like neutral vs electrodes.

The electron man

Occupation
Electrician
If everything is wired properly, an energized ground should be momentary. The ground would offer virtually no resistance causing the upstream OCD to trip/blow.
Yes I understand that, I was talking in about a scenario were there is a wiring issue and the ocpd doesn't trip

Would it not be a good safety measure to test the ground as well just to make sure it not energized even tho 99.9 % of the time it won't be

The electron man

Occupation
Electrician
Ground is too vague of a term for an in depth discussion on electrical. Start using Ground only when referring to a connection to the earth.

1) Ground = Earth
2) Grounded = Intentionally connected to the earth
3) Equipment Ground, Equipment Grounding, Equipment Grounding Conductor = A path to clear a fault
So egc to black 120v like that

The electron man

Occupation
Electrician
My #1 tester is a Knopp K60 solenoid tester. I only use a voltmeter when I need to know the voltage.

A non-contact tester can be handy for finding voltage relative to the earth or the local ground plane.

Maybe you mean what do you test against; i.e., what you use as a reference, like neutral vs electrodes.
Exactly what would be my reference point

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Exactly what would be my reference point
Okay. You try them all. You look for power between every pair of points where there should be power, and for no power between points that should be at the same voltage. What you stated in your OP.

You also want to make sure you have (practically) no voltage between points along a current-carrying pathway (while under load), like between the service neutral and the neutral in downstream panels.

When doing a troubleshoot, I sometimes plug an extension cord into a known-properly-working (non-GFCI) receptacle, and carry around the female end with a reference hot, neutral, and EGC to test against.

The electron man

Occupation
Electrician
Okay. You try them all. You look for power between every pair of points where there should be power, and for no power between points that should be at the same voltage. What you stated in your OP.

You also want to make sure you have (practically) no voltage between points along a current-carrying pathway (while under load), like between the service neutral and the neutral in downstream panels.

When doing a troubleshoot, I sometimes plug an extension cord into a known-properly-working (non-GFCI) receptacle, and carry around the female end with a reference hot, neutral, and EGC to test against.
Got it , question regarding reference point

If I have a transformer coil testing from one end to the neutral point I'll get 120v and testing from the other end I get 120v since the neutral is grounded and at zero volt

So why do I get 220v from side to side if its at the same potential

Voltage is the difference in potential of to points ?

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor

If I have a transformer coil testing from one end to the neutral point I'll get 120v and testing from the other end I get 120v since the neutral is grounded and at zero volt

Again, reference the two batteries in series.

When you test from the center tap, you're reading two points of opposing polarity; the voltages add.

When you test from one line to the other, you're adding the two voltages (240, not 220,by the way).

You can make as many taps as you want on a transformer coil. You could have 240 taps along the length so you have a volt between two adjacent ones, or any voltage you want depending on which taps you measure from. Grounding one of the taps doesnt change any of the voltages between the taps. All grounding does is make whatever tap you chose to be at the same potential as what ever you connected ("Grounded") the tap to. IT could be a pipe or conduit system, building steel, or physical earth, but it really should be all of them connected together and acting as one.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
If you were to flip only one of the two batteries, you'd still read 1.5v across either one, but 0.0v across the pair, because they would be subtractive, not additive.

Likewise, if you mis-wired the two secondaries of a 120/240v dual-secondary (as opposed to one with a 120/240v center tap), you would have two x 120v but no 240v.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician

Here's a good video.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
That's an excellent video. It's almost a visual representation of my batteries and neutral explanation.

I remember a long debate about polarity vs phase/timing with a center-tapped or a dual secondary.

His explanation of moving one probe vs moving both shows it's about polarity and being in-phase.