Tests before energizing relocated transformer? (dry type)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Greetings all what kind of tests do you all typically run before energizing a relocated transformer?
For example a company moves transformer(s) from site A to site B (about 500 miles apart).

Whats the SOP at your industrial work place for this?

Reading some old posts on here, it seems unwise to expect it to be OK, even if it was in service with no past issues.

Say its a 5 - 50 kVA range 480 - 120/240 single phase.
Nothing over 600 Volts.
I imagine bigger outfits, military, municipal, utility all just have the (20k) in house test equipment and a test person.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• ge_sub.jpeg
    ge_sub.jpeg
    166.9 KB · Views: 9

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
When I was a helper, my boss had us install a used transformer is a warehouse for lighting. With no load on the secondary, we used pieces of #18 wire as temporary fuses, and ran it for a weekend to make sure it was dry.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Thanks everyone for the replies.
The longer I do this it seems like the less I feel like I know.
And the longer I stick around the more people ask me what they should do, instead of telling me what to do.

In all my years of commercial you pretty much rip everything out to wire in new and your the only electrical shop on the job, you design plan and layout the job yourself, or you bid drawings done by Architect or EE.

In industrial there is the 'in house electrical shop', the huge shop that built the place 30 years ago whom are too busy to do small work, and xyz engineer consultants, plant managers, hydraulics guys, fluid mechanics, motor techs, lighting / maintenance mechanics techs, IT department , programmers, the electrical contractor the security department hired, the AHJ probably comes by for an annual inspection once a year ....
And they use re-use old equipment all the time.

I am not complaining, its a blast.

Status
Not open for further replies.