Texas contractors license

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Texas Master license, and ran into what seemed like a great opportunity, but to my defeat was a nightmare. I went into a verbal partnership agreement, with to acqaintences who I had worked with for several years. Now that everything is not working and giving up on the partnership, I need to remove my name off of the contractors license. Is this a legal thing I need to do, and how would I go about doing this? I never set up a partnership agreement on paper,or signed anything.

Buck Parrish

Are you listed as the licensee on their bussiness name? If so you will need to contact the State Electrical Contracors Board to have it removed from your freind's bussiness name.
Lucky you didn't sign any thing.
You might not even have a legal bussiness. Who's name is the bank account in. Or the tax ID number.
You might want to hire a contract attorney.
If you can get out of this one easily. I would be wiping my brow, while saying whewwww; that was a close one.:wink: Good luck

Contractors license

Contractors license

Actually I did sign the contractor application and paid for it like a moron.
The bank account does not include me, I was only needed for the masters license, and labor on jobs as an employee.

Buck Parrish

In NC you can start a electric bussiness with out being licensed. But , you have to have a licensed person listed on your license as an employee that over sees all electrical installations.
If that is what you are, I'm not sure how to get out of it.
I would think their would be plenty of work in East Texas.

growler

jlindenborn said:
I need to remove my name off of the contractors license. Is this a legal thing I need to do, and how would I go about doing this? I never set up a partnership agreement on paper,or signed anything.

There can be all kinds of loose ends from such a business arangement. If you are on the contractors license then you must have signed something at some time.

Consult a local lawyer to find out everything you need to do to limit liability. Your partners may leave you being responsible for taxes, debts and any liability for any work performed under your license.

Other than giving someone unlimited power of attorney or getting married a partnership is the most dangerous thing you can get involved in.

jrannis

Its not the end of the world.
Do you have any open permits or unfinished projects?
Start there.
Notify the business that they will no longer have accss to your license.
Start the paperwork to transfer your license to another business, yourself or place it inactive.

contractor license

contractor license

Actually it is not my contractors license it is the sole proprietors, but I am the Master, unexperienced and unwise at this point , but I learned I made a mistake, and no its not the end of the world.

Contractors License

Contractors License

I read all the faq on Texas , and came to no conclusion, I have also emailed the state contact asking them the same question. I will not have a reply probably until monday. Thanks for everyones input I need to do more research in the future obviously!

growler

jrannis said:
It sounds like you are in good shape.
Texas might have different procedures than what I an familiar with.

I agree that if you only qualifiy the company as a master then it's easy to get out of the business.

Here in Georgia all that's needed is a letter to the Secretary of State and I think one to the company and they have about 10 business days to find another master or they are out of business.

Getting out of a partnership can be more complicated. Any supply house accounts, any local and federal taxes, any bank accounts. Anything having to do with your credit. It's much like getting a divorce. You want to make sure that they can't use your name or your credit ever again ( for anything).

If I were Mr. Lindenborn I would even stop calling this a verbal partnership and start saying I was the qualifing master for the company. If the company was a sole proprietorship then it's a good idea to refer to it as such in any written communications.

For people that think it's a joke you never want to introduce a woman as your wife if she is not and you don't want to sign into any hotels or motels as husband and wife if you are not. Verbal acknowledgement of a relationship can be binding.

It's just a good idea not to tell everyone that you are a partner in a business if you are not a partner. Someone may get the wrong idea.

Edit: Never admit it anything with any sort of liability attachments. Many people have went to the gallows based on their own testimony.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.