the 2023 Island plug code change - plugs on the front for usable space requirements

joecalvin

Occupation
Purchasing / Estimator
Guys, with the new code not allowing plugs on the sides of an island I have one question about the front of an island plug. Normally if the island faces a room the front of the island is considered usable wall space and therefore required a plug to meet code for general room receptacles. With the new island code, is that plug still required? Or does the new code eliminate that one too?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The 2023 doesn't require a receptacle at all on the island however if you do install it it has to be a listed pop up style receptacle or as listed below

(3) Receptacle Outlet Location.
Receptacle outlets shall be located in one or more of the following:
  • (1)
    On or above, but not more than 500 mm (20 in.) above, a countertop or work surface
  • (2)
    In a countertop using receptacle outlet assemblies listed for use in countertops
  • (3)
    In a work surface using receptacle outlet assemblies listed for use in work surfaces or listed for use in countertops
    Receptacle outlets rendered not readily accessible by appliances fastened in place, appliance garages, sinks, or rangetops as covered in 210.52(C)(1), Exception No. 1, or appliances occupying assigned spaces shall not be considered as these required outlets.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four people is suffering from a mental illness. Look at your 3 best friends. If they're ok, then it's you​

I think that this code change was written by the person in your signature. If it was written by someone on this forum I apologize in advance but this one is just dumb. (n)

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The 2023 doesn't require a receptacle at all on the island however if you do install it it has to be a listed pop up style receptacle or as listed below
It does not require a receptacle to serve the countertop, however if one side of the island is considered wall space as suggested in the original post, there will be an issue in providing the wall space receptacle.
The change in 210.52(C)(3) does not act to delete the requirement in 210.52(A)(2)(3). The interaction between these sections may require the use of a floor box to provide the wall space receptacle.

VirutalElectrician

Occupation
Sparky - Trying to be retired
Not having a receptacle on an island seems sort of silly. We have an island in our old house w/o receptacles. Of course during the holiday baking season we have appliance cords stretched across the walkways with people ducking under them, tugging them, etc. It's stupid. If I were staying in this house much longer it would get some.