"The inspector carries a light meter"

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter d

Just when I thought I had escaped inspector tyrrany, I was informed by a coworker that "The [electrical] inspector carries a light meter to check the light levels all over the house."

:roll: :roll:

If the NEC allows switched receptacles, I would think it would be pretty tough to mandate light levels. I guess he could force the homeowner to have alot of table lamps. :roll:

The same "tough inspector" said nothing about the improper placement of smoke detectors, and keyless lampholders mounted on single gang nail ons.

This crap is getting so bad that I'm really considering moving to a part of the country where there are no licensing requirements or inspections. I'm so fed up that I would much rather work with hacks than deal with clueless tyrant inpectors.

[ July 29, 2005, 11:42 PM: Message edited by: peter d ]

cselectric

Re: "The inspector carries a light meter"

Exactly what code is Mr. Inspector trying to enforce with his light meter?

If he's looking for minimum illumination levels then things like switched recepts, as you pointed out, will make that tough.

If he's looking to enforce maximum lumen levels per an energy code, then he should be considering the maximum lamp size each fixture can accomodate. metering light levels only tells him if the lamps currently installed meet energy code. (And if you've never seen an inspector check each type of fixture for a maximum lamp wattage to compare to energy code maximums for a space, I suggest a trip to Franklin WI. :roll: )

redfish

That's crazy,he should probably stick his light meter where there isn't any light, to put it mildly. :D

cselectric

Originally posted by redfish:
That's crazy,he should probably stick his light meter where there isn't any light, to put it mildly. :D
That would certainly screw up the meter calibration. I'd hate to see a perfectly good piece of equipment wrecked like that. The inspector... that may well be another matter :eek:

ryan_618

I use a light meter on commercial jobs to measure emergency lighting, but thats a whole other issue.

I don't know how this inspector is requiring illumination when all 210.70 requires is a lighting outlet...not even a luminaire!

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Here's what you do.

Dress up in gypsy garb. Follow him on his inspection, and put a crystal to the wall every now and then, close your eyes, nod thoughtfully and move on. :D

So, does he do all his inspections at night? Or does he bring his own blackout curtains?

This is too funny. :D

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Peter, it's probably something his wife gave him for his birthday and he wants to use it.

If this is the case, just be thankful she didn't give him an Endoscopy or Proctology Starter kit. You would have to be more concerned in staying behind him than what he was tagging you. :D

Roger

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by roger:
just be thankful she didn't give him an Endoscopy or Proctology Starter kit. You would have to be more concerned in staying behind him than what he was tagging you. :D

Roger
OUCH! :D

electricmanscott

Originally posted by ryan_618:
I use a light meter on commercial jobs to measure emergency lighting, but thats a whole other issue.

I don't know how this inspector is requiring illumination when all 210.70 requires is a lighting outlet...not even a luminaire!
Yeah but Joe said..... :p

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by electricmanscott:
Originally posted by ryan_618:
Yeah but Joe said..... :D

[ July 30, 2005, 11:11 AM: Message edited by: iwire ]

growler

Doesn't anyone think that this is making a mountain out of a mole hill. I have never worried about an electrical inspection. If I do something that is not to code, I'm more than happy to correct it ( save myself in the long run ) and if the job is correct there is nothing they can tag me for. I keep a copy of the NEC on the job and all they need to do is point out the Code violation. Remember that the inspector is just human and humans make mistakes. If there is a problem ( gray area ), make your argument in a reasonable and civil manner. I once had an inspector ( that others were afraid of ) give me a wall cover on about 5k sq.ft. that hadn't even been framed yet. I asked in a nice way and explained that we were behind and needed to make up some time ( he agreed that a wall cover was BS and that we were at a disadvantage for taking over the job). Diplomacy is an electricians best tool.

[ July 30, 2005, 12:37 PM: Message edited by: growler ]

peter d

Originally posted by growler:
Doesn't anyone think that this is making a mountain out of a mole hill.
This isn't about aksing for things to be code compliant, this is about an inspector making up rules and enforcing things not found in the NEC or local building codes. That's not making a mountain out of a mole hill. Why bother with codes at all if inspectors just make up the rules? :mad:

physis

At least he's not using any electrical meters, cause I don't know how he'd justify that.

hardworkingstiff

Generally though, I think inspectors are inexpensive insurance. If they catch something that is wrong, I thank them. It's my rep, license, and insurance on the line, not theirs.

growler

peter d, first off, you said that you had been informed by a co-worker that an inspector carried a light meter. Rule NO.1 " Don't believe everything you hear". Someone has already changed that to light saber. If he does have a light meter there may be a reason for it. Someone may have fallen down a dark stairway and broke his neck. Stairway, kitchens & bathrooms require light fixtures and not switched receptacles. If an incident happened it would not be uncommon for the local authorities to take notice and start acting like they are doing their jobs. If you have a problem call the head electrical inspector and get to the bottom of it. I herd a story about a chicken that thought the sky was falling. It turned out to be untrue.

montag

OSHA and other regulating bodies do have minimum light requirements for commerical facilities from motels to factories.

Residential, well I think I still have a right to live in the dark if I choose. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.