The order of code articles, Chap. 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

sw_ross

I'm attempting to get better about knowing the order of Articles as they pertain to Wiring Materials.
Specifically, the order of 320 (MC) up through 366 (Auxillary Gutters).

I'm preparing to take Master's in an adjacent state.
I feel like it would be helpful if I had a question, or scenario, regarding PVC Shedule 80 (just an example) to automatically know to go to 352.

It would eliminate a step, rather than go to the contents or index to see what # is PVC conduit.
I don't really see a rhyme or reason as to the order of these articles...
Can anyone enlighten me?
Thanks!

jumper

I will look, but I think you may be correct:some what random for those.

Articles have been moved around through the years, reorganizing, but I have not seen a complete discernible pattern for raceways and cables. A few consistenties exist, yet not all the way.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The order is strange but the easiest way to do it is using the table of contents. Tabs probably wont be allowed on the exam but that is the best method

sw_ross

Table of contents and "Flash Cards"

Table of contents and "Flash Cards"

I agree,
I think having quick access to the table of contents is going to be my best friend.

I created a set of "flash cards" for article #'s to see if I could become more proficient at this task. At this time I definitely refer to table of contents. Maybe I'll get a number of them memorized, the ones I use a lot in my work, but I know I won't get all of them memorized.

jumper

I agree,
I think having quick access to the table of contents is going to be my best friend.

I created a set of "flash cards" for article #'s to see if I could become more proficient at this task. At this time I definitely refer to table of contents. Maybe I'll get a number of them memorized, the ones I use a lot in my work, but I know I won't get all of them memorized.

Okay, quick, no cheating.

NM, UF, SE, RMC, AC, MC, Metal Wireways, EMT, and PVC.

Go!

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Using the 2011 NEC, go to page 202 to page 222, all of the conduit and tubing articles are there.

The cable articles 320 - 340 are in alphabetical order

The wireway articles 366 -390 are in alphabetical order too.

I don't know what happened to the conduit / tubing articles as to why they are not in alphabetical order.

Roger

jumper

Using the 2011 NEC, go to page 202 to page 222, all of the conduit and tubing articles are there.

The cable articles 320 - 340 are in alphabetical order

The wireway articles 366 -390 are in alphabetical order too.

I don't know what happened to the conduit / tubing articles as to why they are not in alphabetical order.

Roger

Okay cool. I saw some pattern, but since it was not all the way through I wondered.

sw_ross

Agreed

Agreed

When I was looking at the articles layout it started to look like they were in alphabetical order (cables), then as I started to get into conduits I could see no pattern to the layout.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

Roger
They are but in a number of groups:
non-flexible metallic conduits, flexible metallic conduits, non-flexible non-metallic conduits, flexible non-metallic conduits, metallic tubing, non-metallic tubing.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
They are but in a number of groups:
non-flexible metallic conduits, flexible metallic conduits, non-flexible non-metallic conduits, flexible non-metallic conduits, metallic tubing, non-metallic tubing.
I never noticed that Don, thanks

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.