The use of LTFMC for DC wires in an attic space

Status
Not open for further replies.
My partner is telling me wecan not use LTFMC in an attic space of a house to carry the DC wiring. He says it has to be EMT!

I have not found in the NEC where it says one way or another is proper. So if anyone can quote the NEC with section numbers to help me understand or prove my use of the Liquid Tight Flex METALLIC in this attic space, it would be much appreciated.

What I used is 1" LTFMC with 5 thhn 10 gauge wires through it. Yes I know the conduit is over sized, but I am hoping to add on to the array in the future.
Thank you in advance!

LTFMC in attics

LTFMC in attics

yes, this is for PV. I have read 690.31 (A) and I agree with you. All is permitted. My partner on the other hand...

Thanks for your in put and I love musicians that pop up next to your name.

the circuit

the circuit

The circuit in question is from the roof J box to the inverter. The J box contains the USE-2 cables from the modules and is spliced to a 10 gauge thhn. The thhn runs down into the inverter to the DC disconnect.

I did read 690 31(E) and it says; DC circuits shall be contained in metal raceways, or metal enclosures from point of penetration to first accessible disconnecting means. So I guess the question is; is Liquid tight flex Metallic (LTFMC) considered a metal raceway by the NEC? If it is, it should be fine to use, right? If LTFMC is not considered a metal raceway then I guess my only option would be the EMT.

Thanks for your input.

The fact that the LFMC is called Liquidtight Flexible Metal Conduit ​seems to answer

The fact that the LFMC is called Liquidtight Flexible Metal Conduit ​seems to answer

Dennis,

That is what I am saying. It is a metal conduit.

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.