The Way it Was:

Status
Not open for further replies.

hurk27

Looks like a Korean War vintage military issue .The PE95G and PE95H have 4 cyl Jeep engines. They are 14KVA, 10KW machines. They were built in WWII but saw most of their service in Korea & Nam running hospital units etc, The C version was only 5kw but still used the jeep engine

They were monsters back then, My Dad had one out in the Everglades WW2 military surplus, one banger diesel, 9.5kw, had to put pennies under the exhaust valve stems before cranking, once you got the flywheel up to speed you grabbed the pennies out with a pair of pliers and hoped it started popping, back in the late 60's we would loose power every other week, you could also use the flywheel as a PTO to drive other equipment like the old farm tractors, we used it to drive an old saw mill for cypress cutting until they band harvesting cypress.

Last edited:

glene77is

Now for something different. That is a 10KW generator behind all the smoke.

Rattus,
Interesting shot of a working generator and technician.

Do I see the tail of the dragon in the background ?
The Great Wall of China ?
What vintage is this photo ?

My Dad left us photos of WWII,
but not any of the sharks he kicked in the Pacific Ocean.
His were all from an aircraft carrier.

rattus

Rattus,
Interesting shot of a working generator and technician.

Do I see the tail of the dragon in the background ?
The Great Wall of China ?
What vintage is this photo ?

My Dad left us photos of WWII,
but not any of the sharks he kicked in the Pacific Ocean.
His were all from an aircraft carrier.

The technician is a camera repairman--yours truly--who didn't have enough to do. He was pouring diesel oil down the carburetor to loosen the carbon on the valves hence the smoke. You might call it the tail of the dragon--Korea, 1954.

Made a friend for life when I convinced Sgt. Metz that his generator wouldn't start because the points were burned.

rattus

More of the same:

More of the same:

The technician is a camera repairman--yours truly--who didn't have enough to do. He was pouring diesel oil down the carburetor to loosen the carbon on the valves hence the smoke. You might call it the tail of the dragon--Korea, 1954.

Made a friend for life when I convinced Sgt. Metz that his generator wouldn't start because the points were burned.

This pic is more like it. A nice cover for the gen and two photogs who didn't have enough to do.

rattus

Rattus, thanks for posting those pictures and thank you for the service to our country.

You're welcome, but my service was rather puny compared to that of the guys in the Infantry. We had tents, electricity, hot food, etc.--even had a hot shower every few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.