Thermal camera learning resources

darekelec

Good morning/afternoon
I got myself a FLIR one pro IR camera recently and I got my first success using it.
I convinced my helper a panel board replacement is necessary, haha. (I had to prove it to the guy).
A loose connection of stab lok breaker to the bus generated a lot of heat.
I would like to learn how to take and interpret the images of IR camera.
Do you know any good recourses - videos, classes, articles on how to become more proficient in using the camera?

Attachments

• 20230726T094225.jpeg
    20230726T094225.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 14

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
If those numbers are the actual temperatures in F, not sure that it indicates an actual problem, but more investigation would be needed.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
If those numbers are the actual temperatures in F, not sure that it indicates an actual problem, but more investigation would be needed.
Yep.
It is important to learn what is not a problem.
Know how much load is on a breaker versus its neighbors. Also the hottest part of a breaker should be its handle/mechanism area. Lugs are often the coolest.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Fall Of Potential.
Using a meter with millivolt scale measure the VD from line buss to load terminal or conductor if accessible. Then load terminal to conductor. Make sure the load isn't changing from one test to the next. I don't have a Flir and mine is not top of the line so I tended to verify with hands on.

Your camera is the safer way.