Thermal Imaging

Status
Not open for further replies.

sw_ross

I'm looking at the FLIR One Pro that attaches to your phone versus a dedicated Infrared Imager like the Fluke VT04.

FLIR attachment runs about $300
The Fluke runs about $500

I don't think I can justify the $1,000+ versions. This is mostly just to use for troubleshooting/documenting electrical issues in smaller commercial and residential applications.

Anyone have any experience or input related to thermal imaging?
I've had several times when I wished I had an imager that I could take pics of a panel to document breaker issues or a J-box that had bad splices that were overheating.

Any additional moderately priced options are appreciated
Thanks!

iceworm

Curmudgeon still using printed IEEE Color Books
Occupation
EE (Field - as little design as possible)
I just got my hands on a FLIR C3 (~ $600) It's about the size of a cell phone. Works really well

FLIR also makes a C2 version (~ $500). The main difference I see is the C3 has a WiFi connection. Both have a micro USB.

Both
IR sensor 80 × 60 (4,800 measurement pixels)
Digital Camera 640 x 480
Display 320 x 240

I have not used the Fluke, so I can't compare.

meternerd

Occupation
retired water & electric utility electrician, meter/relay tech
I'm not familiar with the FLIR phone attachment, but a few years ago while working at a utility, I attended the FLIR "Certified Thermographer" classes in Boston at the factory. We had a FLIR camera that had quite a few nice options such as numerous color enhancement modes, temperature gradient scales, etc. We later bought a couple of Fluke cameras that were a lot less complex, but easier to carry, set up and use. For what you are going to use it for, I'd ask for a demo of whatever unit you are interested in. Some may give you a lot of features you'll never use (at a higher price, no doubt).

meternerd

Occupation
retired water & electric utility electrician, meter/relay tech
I've often thought about buying one so I could see the studs and pipes behind the drywall in houses.

Might not show what you want to see. They only display surface temperature, so if the studs or pipes are at "room temperature", you'll see nothing.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Might not show what you want to see. They only display surface temperature, so if the studs or pipes are at "room temperature", you'll see nothing.

Just apply enough current to the pipes or wires to make them show up in the thermal scan. And hope that there is not a high resistance spot along the way that will reach combustion temperature. :angel:

kwired

Electron manager
Might work to find studs on an exterior wall at a time when there is some temp extremes on each side of the wall. Interior walls with similar temp on both sides - probably won't help at all.

Anyone have any experience or input related to thermal imaging?
I've had several times when I wished I had an imager that I could take pics of a panel to document breaker issues or a J-box that had bad splices that were overheating.

I work in a large facility. it's 24/7/365, 16.5MW, 400 employees 320 outbound truckloads a week. We have 4 FLIR One Pro's on site, two in the warehouse to scan for fires in our product. The system is simple enough that forklift drivers have no problem using them.

The reason I mentioned the scope of the facility is because in my situation it exposes the FLIR One Pro's greatest weakness, battery life. In the maintenance dept we use a vending machine and scan cards to check out the cameras. This way the maintenance super has access to who used what last. So if you didn't return it or plug it into the charger in the vending machine you get humiliated in front of your peers. The battery life appears to be about an hour and 10 minutes. To allow us to use it for an eight hour shift we use one of those 6 amp hour phone charger/batteries and we leave it plugged into the battery. It works fine this way. We generate reports on our 63 MCC's some of which are off line only once every five years.

One of our mechanics found a unique way to use the FLIR One Pro was to mount it to a large Ipad tablet and turn it backward. He then uses a air hammer with a peening tool to seal off water jacket cooling on a laminated steel vessel. By looking at the Ipad on a tripod (turned to him) he can see the path of the coolant on the water jacket and seal off any "short circuit" water leaks that leak from one channel to another.

Occupation
Engineer
The FLIR One Pro for iPhone is pretty awesome bang for buck - bigger/better display than you get with a lot of the more expensive dedicated units. Battery life isn't great, but usable, as is the software. I've used it for everything from finding loose connections on power systems to finding blown ICs on circuit boards.

Status
Not open for further replies.