Thermal Scan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a customer who called us wanting to know if we could perform a thermal scan, requested by his insurance company.
I haven't seen this done, nor have I got or seen the equipment to do this. I have worked for a big electrical contractor that did do this, but was never part of it. They used it mainly in the main panels, picking up hot spots on the circuits that had hard 90 degree bends on the wire before entering into the breakers. Does anyone know of a device that they could recommend? Any info on doing a thermal scan would be helpful too..

zog

bakerbrotherselectric said:
Have a customer who called us wanting to know if we could perform a thermal scan, requested by his insurance company.
I haven't seen this done, nor have I got or seen the equipment to do this. I have worked for a big electrical contractor that did do this, but was never part of it. They used it mainly in the main panels, picking up hot spots on the circuits that had hard 90 degree bends on the wire before entering into the breakers. Does anyone know of a device that they could recommend? Any info on doing a thermal scan would be helpful too..

IR cameras are not just taking pictures, you need to be properly trained on emisstivity, materials, delta T limits, recommended actions for different delta T's. Subcontract a certified IR guy.

Or buy the camera and send one of your guys to the proper training courses, plus this is energized work so you will need a 2nd guy, 70E qualified with the proper PPE to remove panel covers.

JoshL

Occupation
Engineer
FLIR is a popular company for infrared cameras.

http://www.goinfrared.com/

But I agree that you most likely want to hire an experienced thermographer. The insurance company might even require the thermographer to be certified at a certain level of training.

iwire

Staff member
Having had the opportunity to play around with a nice Flir camera it quickly became evident that training in just the proper operation of the camera would be necessary.

By fiddling with the settings you can make a slightly warm connection look like a big deal.

One of my coworkers has spent a few weeks at Flir training and is quite good at it,

zog

bakerbrotherselectric said:
I cant find a local Thermographer using the internet, all i find is training after training after training.. Any ideas on locating a Thermographer?

Where are you located?

brian john

barkerbro:

You were not involved in a commercial to residential discussion so read above and follow their advice ignore what I am writing.

Oh never mind. But do follow what was given above. IR is more than just a camera.

Status
Not open for further replies.