Thermocouples to use with Hydrogen Peroxide

Status
Not open for further replies.

fifty60

I would like to install a thermocouple in an environment that may contain higher than normal concentrations of hydrogen peroxide. I would think that Type ?T? would definitely not be ideal for this because of the copper wire used in type T thermocouples. Looking at type K, I think the chromel may have problems as well with the hyrdrogen peroxide. Can anyone recommend a type of thermocouple to use in this kind of environment?

fifty60

I do not think the sheath and the jacket are vapor proof. I would still be concerned with the wires corroding inside the sheath and jacket.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
If in liquid, pretty much any type with 316 stainless steel sheath. Or are we talking heavy atmospheric contamination?

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I do not think the sheath and the jacket are vapor proof. I would still be concerned with the wires corroding inside the sheath and jacket.

I used to use TC's with stainless steel jackets to monitor mixtures of nitric and sulfuric acid. I believe they were from Omega Engineering. I just did a quick check, and you can get them with 304 or Inconel sheath, or PFA coated. Easy peasey.

fifty60

Not submerged in Hydrogen Peroxide, just a higher than normal mixture in the atmosphere. I will try to find some MI with the 316SS.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Not submerged in Hydrogen Peroxide, just a higher than normal mixture in the atmosphere. I will try to find some MI with the 316SS.

I think the TC extension wire was available with a Teflon jacket. I would take ordinary Teflon tape and wrap the junction between the TC assembly and the extension wire a bunch of times and that worked fine. Shouldn't be any need to go MI.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I will try to find some MI with the 316SS.
Ordinary MI cannot be used for thermocouple wiring because the two conductors of the TC loop must be made of the same metal as the wires forming the thermocouple junction. If you do not do that, you will have all sorts of problems with the reading varying with the temperature of the splice points as well as the junctions at the end points.

PS: Only one of the wires in the type T thermocouple is copper, the other is the alloy called constantan.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.