THHN through Aluminum Channel of a pergola/aluminum patio

Luckyif22

Occupation
electrician
Hello everyone! I'm working on a project where the contractor is going to have a aluminum cover patio situation with heaters and lights. The patio contractor is asking me to provide wire so that he can run it inside the aluminum channeling to desired locations for the heaters and lighting. This wire is going to be free aired, so to say, through the aluminum framing and somehow avoid getting hit by screws and sharp aluminum corners. I have checked the code under 300 .3 a. and cannot. really. answer my question. Which is... is this legal And will I pass inspection?. I know it's a raceway. I know it's protected against harm and all that good stuff. But I also know it's not UL listed.

thank you!

Luckyif22

Occupation
electrician
Hello and thank you for your reply. Yes, that's what I am thinking also. I'm thinking, either run MC or UF for the lighting, and then maybe run SO for the heaters. because the heaters are 4000 watts at 2O8V.. maybe even run 10 gage MC for the heaters. I think I should also suggest to have the local inspector come through and tell the patio guys what's up.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
Installers also like to conceal wirenuts buried inside patio-cover metallic framing
Not an accessible junction CEC 314.29, 366.56(A)

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Cord would be a violation of 400.12.
Locally it would likely be MC to j boxes