THHN/THWN/MTW rated wire in sunlight

Status
Not open for further replies.

jes25

I dropped power out to a garage overhead the triplex terminates to a 1 1/4 IMC raceway with THHN wire inside that comes out of the raceway and terminates to the triplex weatherhead installed standard deal for a service, this is just out to a garage. Inspector says it is a violation to have THHN in sunlight. I do it constantly with THHN or XHHW for a service. The only difference is this is only a 20A circuit out to a garage. I cant find anything in the code that says THHN is sunlight resistant or any other wire for that matter or can I find anything that says it needs to be. This guy is a real you know what and seems to have issue with me. I need some firepower, please help!!!!

fishin' electrician

Re: THHN/THWN/MTW rated wire in sunlight

See 310.8(D)

Unless the THHN that you installed is rated sunlight resistant you will have no firepower. I have only seen the larger sizes actually marked as sunlight resistant and don't know if the smaller sizes are available as such..

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

Conductors in sunlight must comply with 310.8(D).
You will have to check the listing of the types of conductors that you've mentioned to see if they are listed as sunlight resistant.

jes25

Ok he is right. :eek: .... Now I will have to fix it live and learn. Thanks

charlie

THHN is not listed for wet locations, unless it is dual rated you can't use it outside. If you can't use it outside, there would be no reason to get it listed for sunlight resistant. :D

hurk27

All the wire I have seen lately is both THHN/THWN,
any wire with a "W" in the prefix is listed for wet location. Now all you need is the sunlight listing. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.