thhw/thhn direct burial

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

can thhw/thhn be used for service entrance conductors in a direct burial installation? This conductor is ok for wet locations so i assume so.

ron

Re: thhw/thhn direct burial

Underground must be in a listed assembly. 338 covers USE identified for underground use, and 340 covers UF which is suitable for direct burial. Straight THWN is not listed for direct burial.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator & NEC Expert
Staff member
Occupation
Master Electrician

xhhw-2 is is use rated. I have seen THHW fail when used in conduit with water in it.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

Tom, are you sure about that? I use quite a bit of XHHW-2 and I don't remember ever seeing any of it with a USE rating on it. I know RHW-2 is USE rated.

i been using XHHW-2 for pretty long time and it work better for underground counducts run compare to straght THHN/THWN series wires due the THHN outer insluation will come apart and break down and get to inside inslulation and can say bye bye wire (sound of zap) in short time i cant say how long and XHHW-2 is more rugged to take it better for that sisuation

merci marc

renosteinke

Bad news, guys...

According to the UL White book, type XHHW, etc., has not been evaluated for direct burial unless the single conductors have also been marked "type USE or type USE-2."
UL White book, 2001, pg. 120. Look under "thermoset insulated (ZKST)," the paragraph with the heading "Submersible Water Pump Cable."

Status
Not open for further replies.