think it's a phone cabinet?

raberding

Occupation
Consulting Engineer
Hi - my son recently bought a 1928-ish home in Toledo. Wondering what this is. Phone is my best guess. I have not been there yet - will investigate further in a couple weeks.
Any thoughts?
tele.jpg

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Yes, it's phone. 16 pair terminal. There was an old multi-line key system installed at one time. Very, very old but the new UR splices make me believe some of the wiring may be still in use. Do with it as you will.

No, no lightning arrester. That's merely a "splice" like we use the punch down blocks for today.

-Hal

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Definitely some type of phone, I agree with Hal it does look like a lighting arrestor but is not, but but I'd say its a part of 'key 1A' home phone system.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
I am pretty sure its a 1A system, there is a fellow sparky near me that collects them.
he shows off his 1A system in this video you can see the terminal can @5min

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
If it's part of a 1A, where's the KSU (relay box). Could be terminals for a key system, but it's still just the terminals.
Yeah its just the terminals, I'd look around for the rest of the system see if its still there, probably long gone.

OldBroadcastTech

Occupation
Retired Broadcast Technician
1A2 systems used 25 pairs for up to 8 instruments, 3 pairs per device.

I think.........as I recall , it was 1970 when I learned this:

T, R for the talk circuit
A was ground
A1 was lifted from ground to put a line on hold
I for the 'intercom' buzzer
L to light up the in-use line

We used to punch the 'INT' button then dial 1 over and over as fast as possible and listen to the phones give the 'intercom buzz' all the way down the hall..........

Typical (2)565 set (aka "six button" had five lines using three pairs each plus another for the ringer and some spares, the last five pair of the twenty five were designated for a speakerphone. If you had the ten button set (2580?) the A1 leads were re-purposed as A leads for other lines. (That's all from memory, I'm not going to dig out the BSPs at the moment.)

1A2 could support hundreds of stations and hundreds of lines
My first full-time employer* had a 1A2 system with somewhere north of 300 automatic-ringing private lines, spread over 4(!!) 90-button Call Directors and a bunch of 18 and 30 button Call Directors. (The 90 was three 30's in one chassis.) Those sets wired to concentrater KTUs to mux the control lines. One of the projects while I was there was building a replacement switch for the whole 1A2 system; off-the-shelf systems were far to expensive for what we needed.
*Kastle Systems, Arlington VA (late 70's early 80's)

IIRC, it was a stack of Candela concentrators terminating the PLs and some POTS lines with field-end dialers, then keypad terminals at the desks. Everything was held together with some custom code on top of the company's existing embedded OS which hooked into existing data (all on PDP-11's). The early versions worked well enough to continue development, I left the project, then the company, somewhere in there.

The basic problem was having the reverse number of ports of a PBX- lots of line ports (>300), few station ports (<30); converting all the lines and field hardware was cost-prohibitive at the time.

And as time went on and telephone tech improved, those private lines started to be replaced anyway.

hbiss

Occupation
EC
PDP-11's 😲
And as time went on and telephone tech improved, those private lines started to be replaced anyway.
Yeah, that was the time where if you blinked they had something new. The Merlin, the first all electronic key system was being installed by AT&T to replace the 1A2. Instead of running 25pr (and multiples of) all over, all it used was 4pr. Thus was borne the RJ-45 and the 568A WECO standard.

-Hal

Ah yes, the Merlin. On the one hand, it did the job and was easier to wire. OTOH, the wall-to-set cables supplied later looked like Ethernet patch cables but were 8c in a jacket, no twisting/etc; needless to say, they did not work like an Ethernet cable :D .

There was definitely something new almost every month, for which we can thank Divestiture opening up the markets.

hbiss

Occupation
EC
the wall-to-set cables supplied later looked like Ethernet patch cables but were 8c in a jacket, no twisting/etc; needless to say, they did not work like an Ethernet cable
Still have a few left. The old Merlin is pretty much extinct but if you wanted to be historically correct you would want to use those original gray line cords. Whenever I saw a patch cord being used I would know some computer guy or DIY was playing with it.

-Hal