This is interesting.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
So, I've had this surge suppressor outlet strip sitting here on my desk that I bought from Home Depot a couple of weeks ago. It's plastic and I don't normally use those things unless it has a metal case, but it was supposed to be used just for Christmas decorations and then put away in the attic for eleven months where it can't get into too much trouble.

A few minutes ago I had the urge to pick it up and give it a once over. Not terribly bad with a power switch/OCP and a protection and ground LED indicators. It bears Interteck ETL US and Canada approval.

But while looking on the back at the information molded into the plastic in very small letters and very hard to read, I saw something very interesting.

"CAUTION Do not install this device if there is not at least 10 meters (30 feet) or more of wiring between the outlet and electrical service panel."

Now, I understand why they are stating that. But who is going to see it and is it a way to get out of liability when these things burst into flames like many of them do?

I know for a fact that none of my receptacles on the end of the house where the service is have nowhere near 30 feet of wire supplying them.

-Hal

Seven-Delta-FortyOne

Goin’ Down In Flames........
Occupation
EC and GC
Just means it’s a type 3 SPD. I’m sure it’s required marking.

There are probably thousands of warnings and standards that go unheeded by the populace every day. Look at the huge Tesla recall.

retirede

I guess I'll learn something today.....why?

I suspect that it needs the impedance in the wire to effectively clamp voltage spikes. I also speculate that not having enough wire in front will limit the effectiveness of protection, but I doubt it will cause it to burst into flames.
Most melted power strips are due to being overloaded, space heater, for example.

4x4dually

Occupation
Electrical Engineer/ Ex-Electrician
My opinion is that if someone is depending on a surge protector (specifically a cheap power strip) which is nothing more than a switch, possibly a CB, and a couple MOV's to protect their expensive equipment then they don't really care about their expensive equipment.

What is SEWAG? I'm not familiar.

Screenshot 2023-12-14 071432.jpg

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
My opinion is that if someone is depending on a surge protector (specifically a cheap power strip) which is nothing more than a switch, possibly a CB, and a couple MOV's to protect their expensive equipment then they don't really care about their expensive equipment.

What is SEWAG? I'm not familiar.

View attachment 2569045
Semi Educated Wild A__ Guess

4x4dually

Occupation
Electrical Engineer/ Ex-Electrician
Semi Educated Wild A__ Guess
Cheese-n-rice. :rolleyes: Here I thought it was some actual term and was like "why don't I know what that is" and started to figure out what I had missed in school. Looks like I'm in the running for the DOTD (dumbass of the day) award. LMAO Reading comprehension has never been my strong suit.

Seven-Delta-FortyOne

Goin’ Down In Flames........
Occupation
EC and GC
I would guess it’s very similar to the Category Ratings I,II, III, and IV for digital meters.

Available fault current diminishes the farther one moves from the service entrance.

norcal

"CAUTION Do not install this device if there is not at least 10 meters (30 feet) or more of wiring between the outlet and electrical service panel."
How do they expect the average user to know or even care if their conditions meets the above criteria?

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
I used to buy listed surge strips with 15 ft cords from Graybar. They are hard to find but great quality. They had tabs that I drilled a hole in to mount from front instead of those impossible to use slotted holes on the back.