Thomas & Betts Replacement Breakers

davedottcom

I'm trying to determine which brand/type of breaker is acceptable for this T&B panel. I was expecting to see BR (Eaton) breakers listed but they're not. Can someone make sense out of this?

Attachments

• PXL_20240819_151802175~2.jpg
    PXL_20240819_151802175~2.jpg
    512.9 KB · Views: 22

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I would still pic BR first, and maybe Siemens second. But, you'll lose your warranty.
biggrin.gif

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Apparently Connecticut Electric still makes type TB breakers. They sure look just like BR. In online pictures of older TB breakers over 50A they have the hole for the BR style hold-down screw. I'm not really sure how Challenger and T&B ended up with breakers that are outwardly indentical in form factor to Bryant/Westinghouse BR, but listed as a different type (except that it must have to do with money somehow). Today's Eaton BR are also listed as type C, but not TB. But I bet they're all actually the same. That TB panel label sure looks like a Challenger label.

norcal

Apparently Connecticut Electric still makes type TB breakers. They sure look just like BR. In online pictures of older TB breakers over 50A they have the hole for the BR style hold-down screw. I'm not really sure how Challenger and T&B ended up with breakers that are outwardly indentical in form factor to Bryant/Westinghouse BR, but listed as a different type (except that it must have to do with money somehow). Today's Eaton BR are also listed as type C, but not TB. But I bet they're all actually the same. That TB panel label sure looks like a Challenger.
About what they were, T&B was huge in the UL classified breaker replacement game compared to everyone else, always wondered what happened to that product line, or more like why they went poof.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
As I remember when Westinghouse consolidated the Bryant and Challenger lines into one line with different labels they sold the original Challenger loadcenter design to T&B.

davedottcom

Apparently Connecticut Electric still makes type TB breakers. They sure look just like BR. In online pictures of older TB breakers over 50A they have the hole for the BR style hold-down screw. I'm not really sure how Challenger and T&B ended up with breakers that are outwardly indentical in form factor to Bryant/Westinghouse BR, but listed as a different type (except that it must have to do with money somehow). Today's Eaton BR are also listed as type C, but not TB. But I bet they're all actually the same. That TB panel label sure looks like a Challenger label.
I thought it looked like a Challenger label too!

Attachments

• PXL_20240819_151802175.jpg
    PXL_20240819_151802175.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5