those "night light" switches

Status
Not open for further replies.

toma

Here's my question.......I have 2 3way switches that light up when the ceiling lights are off. These switches are the type where the switch handle lights up when the lights are off. Why are the "night lights" on both switches slightly fllickering when the lights are off? These are residential grade 3 way switches. 15amp, 120 volts.

beanland

Neon

Neon

Switches use neon lights. These send a small amount of current through the line when off. They rely on the "lamp" to complete the circuit. If the lamp is CFL, there may not be enough current for the neon. The neon strikes but the voltage drops and it goes out and then the voltage is back and it strikes and so on and so on...

beanland

Neons

Neons

A neon light needs about 90V for the gap to break down. Once it breaks down, it needs constant current to stay lit. If the current is too low, the light goes out. Thus flicker. If the resistor in series with the light (10M) is too high in value for the lamp and the voltage, the current may be too low. Could be just cheap neon and resistor.

The attached sketch is my notion of how the neons are wired. Both should go on when the lamp is off.

Gaffen99

I agree with the previous post. I have put a lot of these switches in at a retirement community, and sometimes they flicker sometimes they don't.
It gets annoying but for the most part it is not that noticeable if your not looking for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.