Three bonding questions for portable gen

Status
Not open for further replies.

ABDJR

New User
Occupation
Attorney
Three bonding questions on portable generator. New to the forum, so apologies if these have been answered.

I have a 15kW portable Nat Gas Genny mounted on rubber wheels. 90% of use powers the house during outages through generator plug to an interlocked 50 Amp breaker in the main panel (which is bonded). 10% of use as truly portable genny. It came with the neutral and ground bonded, but to power the house I understand it should be unbonded, which it now is. (Note ran house fine when genny was bonded during first couple of runs).

Q1: Since genny is now unbonded and on rubber wheels, should I earth ground the genny frame? My instinct is yes.

Q2: Can I use a 240 volt switch (like a light switch or disconnect) to bond and unbond the neutral? When powering the house, the switch would be off and the neutral unbonded. When used portable to power tools, the switch would be closed to bond the neutral to ground. Would a breaker be a better choice?

Q3: When the genny is powering the house it is in a shed that contains my pool heater. I have to leave the doors open to control the heat. I would like to install a powered roof vent to pull out the heat so I can close the doors. (The neighbors will thank me). The genny would directly power this vent from a 120v outlet on the genny. But the genny will be unbonded. IOW, the unbonded genny would have two main loads: the bonded main panel in the house and the roof vent. Is that a problem?

Thanks.

Al

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
This site is designed for:
  • Electrical Contractors
  • Electricians
  • Engineers
  • Inspectors
  • Instructors
  • Other electrically related individuals
This NEC® Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.

Knowledge and the practical application of the National Electrical Code is an essential part of all electrical installations. If it's important for you to understand the National Electrical Code, then look no further.

To better help us serve you, please be sure to update your account details with your occupation field and location if you have not done so already. You can access your account details by clicking on your account name at the top right of the page when on the forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.