Three Foot Rule

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evergrey_J

I have been in a Disagreement with Saftey about the 3 foot clearance rule for Electrical Panels on the isle way, were there is fork truck traffic. They seem to believe it does not need Saftey Post or an ouline! Any input on this topic would be very helpful:smile:

iwire

Staff member
Evergrey_J said:
I have been in a Disagreement with Saftey about the 3 foot clearance rule for Electrical Panels on the isle way, were there is fork truck traffic. They seem to believe it does not need Saftey Post or an ouline! Any input on this topic would be very helpful:smile:

As long as they are not storing items in that space I see no problem.

Panels are often installed in hallways.

If a panel is mounted in an area where fork lifts are used, and is subject to physical damage, then the panel will need a form of physical protection. Fork lift drivers seem to have an afinity to drive close enough or back up into panels.

Panels mounted in hallways, where there is no reason to be concerned about physical damage - school hallways are a good example, so are office hallways - then protection from physical damage will not be necessary.

iwire

Staff member
Pierre C Belarge said:
If a panel is mounted in an area where fork lifts are used, and is subject to physical damage, then the panel will need a form of physical protection. Fork lift drivers seem to have an afinity to drive close enough or back up into panels.

It sounded to me like he wanted the bollard to be placed three feet out and that is not required.

Saftey about the 3 foot clearance rule for Electrical Panels on the isle way, were there is fork truck traffic. They seem to believe it does not need Saftey Post or an ouline!

The section of the NEC that requires physical protection of equipment does not require that the work space also be protected although the protection can not invade the work space.

IF the panels are subject to damage then some means should be implemented to protect them but that means does not have be in the way of traffic.

muskiedog

We put the bollards next to the equipment

We put the bollards next to the equipment

I used to have 15 forks going on two shifts and we just put them around the equipment but not to control the clearance. I have seen everything from gas heaters torn off the ceiling, off the dock, racking systems knocked down.

I would be more worried about the driver runnning into it then keeping the 3 foot clearance.

I agree on the now storage allowed in the clearance space and did paint this on the floor to keep the drivers from staging product in that area.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
IMO the bollards would have to be outside the working space or they would intrude on it.

I have seen a few people put up such posts around electrical equipment and it seems like they always put them inside the working space.

jbt260

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
The 3' rule is for working clearance only. The posts are for physical protection. IMO posts should be located on both sides of the panel. The 30" wide working clearance rule must be maintained. The posts do not have to be 3' from the panel.

iwire

Staff member
jbt260 said:
The 3' rule is for working clearance only. The posts are for physical protection. IMO posts should be located on both sides of the panel. The 30" wide working clearance rule must be maintained. The posts do not have to be 3' from the panel.

Exactly my thought as well. :)

C3PO

jbt260 said:

I third this motion.

Evergrey_J

Pierre C Belarge said:

Panels mounted in hallways, where there is no reason to be concerned about physical damage - school hallways are a good example, so are office hallways - then protection from physical damage will not be necessary.

This is in an Industrial Enviorment, I think I have the answer I need to Prove my point, we have no Protection around these panels, and I feel that with the traffic it needs to be fixed! Thet have agreed to paint lines on the floor, but do not think we need any protection to keep the fork truck of or out of the panels. Thank Again:smile:

pfalcon

Protect yourself while working

Protect yourself while working

Remember that you are required to restrict access to your working area while you are servicing that panel. This means you may have to bring barricades or close the aisle while in the panel. We have had the fork drivers park vehicles to protect the electricians working on the aisle as well.

One of the issues for finger-safe panels was ironically working clearance. An electrician was knocked into an electrical panel when a trash cart being pulled behind a tow vehicle tapped a panel door.

sparks0304

nec 2005 110.26 thru 110.34 can give the work space requirements, guarding in hallways should be for when work is being done, some of the newer panels that we have, have two locks, access is allowed to breakers, but we let it be knowed that if a breaker trippes that we are called to troubleshoot, why it tripped, this workes for our facility, home owner, will try reseting, sometimes not looking fo why it tripped. i know i kind of got off tracked on this one.

Ranch

sparks0304 said:
nec 2005 110.26 thru 110.34 can give the work space requirements..........i know i kind of got off tracked on this one.

Sparky,

I don't think you "got off tracked" whatsoever, I think you are right on track. 3 foot rule? Pretty vague, That thinking is old school. Egress thinking is key ?.

At any rate, 110.26, consider a 480 Volt MCC on one side of the working space and a 480/277 panel board on the other side.

You can't expose live parts in the panel board without taking the cover off, and taking the cover off is a large job.

Condition 2 or 3?

Status
Not open for further replies.