Three phase 220 volt equipment on 240 volt supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

powerplay

I've come across some approved equipment that has been hooked up to 244 volt supply receptacle, which I believe is acceptable being close to within 10% of required voltage. A similiar piece of paper cutting equipment with the same three phase 220 volt requirement is going to be twist locked into the same outlet when required. I am planning to connect the equipment to 12/4 soow cable, with an Three phase 250volt 20 amp twist lock plug to allow them to run the equipment. I would like to hear if there is any feedback regarding this installation. Could there be issues with this equipment when running this way? The equipment has built in overloads and controls.

Nsmith

So you have two pieces of equipment requiring 3 phase either 220v or 240v? You are only going the get 208 line to line with 3 phase. This is fine provided the equipment is for 3 phase and not single phase 240v depending on the country of origin the name plate voltages will vary. 3 current carrying conductors with a ground is common it will be a L15-20 plug

powerplay

Available voltage depends on how the transformer is wired, or the incoming power supply. This incoming source happens to be 240 volt delta three phase. The same location has a 240 to 600 volt three phase delta transformer, as well as a 240 to 208 volt transformer. It also has an incoming 120/240 volt single phase source.

The equipment is approved through an agency, but came from Germany. I'm sure the insulation is rated for 250 volt, but curious if it may reduce the equipments lifespan using a differnt voltage. The equipment may have an adjustment that will regulate incoming power like an tap off an tranformer...but curious what insight people have to say from experience or training.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
IMO the 220 volt rated equipment will work just fine on the 240 volt system, but only the manufacturer can tell you for sure unless the nameplate specifies either voltage. What about the 50 Hz?

powerplay

I see why you're an moderator...I seen the sticker indicating Three phase, 220 volt,11.9 amps,60hz ...the similiar equipment beside it is the same, but I looked at the motors underneath and did notice they were marked 50hz...common in Germany? I had heard from someone else that the equipment is rugged and will handle it, but that was word of mouth. Would the difference in hz cause overloading of motor/controls trying to run faster? The similiar equipment already in operation appears to work ok ..thanks for any insight you may have in this matter!

kwired

Electron manager
The motors may be able to handle 60hz instead of 50, but can the machine being driven handle the increase in speed? Most motors rated for dual frequency also have different horsepower rating at each frequency.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.