Three phase alternating current

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Re: Three phase alternating current

The magnitude of the voltage (in units of ?volts RMS?), and times the magnitude of the current (in units of ?amps RMS?), and times the square root of three.

bphgravity

Charlie's calculation is correct, however, this will still only give the volt-amps of the circuit and not the true power. E x I x pF will give the true wattage of a three phase system.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

Originally posted by bphgravity:E x I x pF will give the true wattage of a three phase system.
A closer look at the question would reveal that the "power factor" factor was included in my answer. I was completing the original sentence: "...power factor times ...." Also, don't forget the square root of three that enters into three phase calculations.

robbie

Elec-Student:

The power triangle might help you. The 'run' of the triangle would be your 'real' power in Watts. The 'rise' of the triangle would be the 'reactive' power in Vars and the 'hypotenuse' of the triangle would be the 'apparent' power in Volt-Amps. The cosine of the angle between (run)/(hypotenuse) is your power factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.