Three phase equipment hook up

Status
Not open for further replies.

powerplay

Aside from equipment that may reverse and cause bodily harm, or having equipment fans rotating backwards ?? ? ...are there other precautions with reversing leads to equipment when they are using solid state controls...

RoberteFuhr

Some equipment has internal phase rotation protection. The equipment may not operate if the rotation is not correct. They will usually display an error code or illuminate an indicating light.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
Some equipment has internal phase rotation protection. The equipment may not operate if the rotation is not correct. They will usually display an error code or illuminate an indicating light.

Do you have a phase rotaion meter?

RETRAINDAILY

It all depends.
Some equipment plays find back-wards.
Others not so well.
I would tell the customer too call the manufacture and put the responsibility on them or more $$ if I have too figure there machine out.

If you don't know it's time to read up on the equipment or pass it on to someone that knows more about it. To learn as you go and charge customers for the time it takes for you to learn new things is not being a Contractor. Are you a J man?

mivey

If you don't know it's time to read up on the equipment or pass it on to someone that knows more about it. To learn as you go and charge customers for the time it takes for you to learn new things is not being a Contractor.
Not true for all cases. It just depends on the equipment.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
First define what you mean by "solid state controls", and for that matter, "equipment". We can ASS-U-Me you are referring to motorized equipment and we can also ASS-U-Me you are referring to AC motors, but it would be nice to be sure.

In a nutshell though (and with the above assumptions), reversing the leads on the output of a VFD is often pointless as the VFD is capable of providing it5's output in either rotation sequence, so rather than reversing leads, you can just reprogram or command the VFD to run the motor in the proper direction and lock out the ability for it to be changed. This gets complicated however when you have a maintenance Bypass system, as the Bypass starter will indeed be affected by the rotation sequence of the leads. For that reason, the simplest way to avoid that problem is to make the VFD output turn the motor correctly, then swap the Input leads to the bypass to make it run correctly when in bypass.

If by "solid state controls" you meant a Soft Starter, it is no different than a standard starter with regards to swapping leads.

Status
Not open for further replies.