Three phase floating neutral?

Status
Not open for further replies.

leggo

I looked at a residential job that has a separate service for a pole barn that supplies 120/240v 3phase with a 208v high leg. My voltages read fine with no load.My problem is that any 120v. load you put on the A or C phase (B phase is the 208v) I get different voltages. ie. A phase drops to 60 volts and C phase increases to about 180v. The 500 watt halogen light that I was using to test was always dim.
I tried to reconnect the neutral at the service mast where it connects overhead from the poco. This didn't chang anything. Please advise.
Ed

bob

Re: Three phase floating neutral?

You have a bad neutral connection on the bank pole of at the service. When this occurs the voltage on 1 leg goes up and the other leg drops with added load.

leggo

Bob,
Do you mean that it is bad at the power company pole. I am not sure what you meant about the bank pole.

charlie

Call the serving electric utility, there is an open neutral (grounded conductor) somewhere and it needs to be repaired. I am betting that it is on the line side of the service point. :D

bob

Leggo and Charlie
I had a typo. What I ment to say was that there is a bad neutral connection on the bank pole or at the service conductors. Leggo, by bank pole I mean the pole with the transformer bank. You may have a service pole also. As Charlie said have
the utility check.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

Actually, the bad neutral connection may be anywhere from the transformer, even inetrnally, to the branch-circuit panel, even internally again.

This points out why earth can not serve as the return path; the impedance is too high.

leggo

Thank you for the help. Yes, it was the power company's problem. They came out and fixed it and everything is back to normal.
Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.