Three phase generator question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

blinkers

Hello, my friend owns a deli which has a walk-in freezer and a walk-in fridge. The freezer has a single condensor with a name plate rating of 208volts single phase and says the min. circuit amperage should be 15 amps. The fridge has 2 condensors each name plated with 115 volts single phase and min. circuit amperage 15 amps.

At the panel the freezer is supplied with a 20amp three phase breaker. The fridge is supplied with a 30amp three phase breaker. I'm almost positive the store is fed with 208Y/120 4wire, as when I test across the phases I get 208volts.

We are looking to install a generator to keep the fridge and freezer happy during our lovely hurricanes. And I came across this 12KW 3 phase head on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=42908&item=7508217683&rd=1

Will this head do what I need? I have yet to figure out of this is a 12 lead head. Any guidance is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

iwire

Staff member
Re: Three phase generator question.

I would run away from that made in China piece of junk.

I certainly would need to see connection diagrams and specifications before even considering buying it.

Thats just my own feeling, maybe it is a good unit. :p

If I was trying to run my friends equipment on a budget I would find a small used genset with a prime mover already included.

I would also think about running only one cooler unit at a time to keep the generator size as small as possible. Smaller generators use less fuel which can really be an issue if you are out of power for a few days as in a hurricane.

That EBay unit needed 25 to 28 HP to drive it that will suck up some fuel.

Bob

[ April 17, 2005, 08:25 AM: Message edited by: iwire ]

blinkers

Re: Three phase generator question.

I normally steer clear of Chinese products, but these units are built like tanks. Fuel isnt really an issue, I can get a decent size tank and I "know" people, so I have access to fuel during an emergency. I'll work on getting a wiring diagram from them. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.