Three-Phase Vs Two-Phase

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our local electrician-handyman here in Morelos, Mexico, wants to change our vacation home from three-phase to two-phase. He says this will greatly lower our electrical costs which are quite high compared to U.S. We have no three-phase motors. Cost of change about $100 U.S. The big item is to change the electrical company outside box which now has three contacts with three replaceable fuses to a different box - presumably one with two contacts. I'd appreciate a quick and dirty estimate of what percentage electrical cost savings we could expect, if any. This technician has done excellent cost-benefit work for us in the past, but he's really a jack of several trades. Much thanks for any help. Gene

bphgravity

Your asking for trouble. Even in Mexico they have licensed and insured contractors. Do yourself and your family a favor and NOT hire a handyman for this work. You need professional help.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I cannot stress enough how much I agree with Bryan. Do yourself a favor and find a reputable electrician. From what you described the only one who will increase the amount of money that he has in his pockets is the handyman.

hardworkingstiff

I agree with the others.

I am curious though, did he say how switching to 2-phase (which in itself is probably not accurate, I believe he really means single-phase) would save you money?

I am also curious as to how you wound up with 3-phase in your house?

The other question would be, is the power company going to change out their transformer? If not, you will gain nothing.

Builder

But I would think you may need to explore how the electricity is billed or the rate structure on three phase and the rate structure on single phase power, by the utility that provides the power. Compare the KWH used by the home, and see how it works outs on paper, before you change any thing.

I had three phase added to the place, for some equipment in the shop, and went from a "Residential" rate to a "Light Commercial Rate" there was a difference on the minimum and then the kWh rate was slightly different, and the power use breaks were some different.

In my case, depending on the amount of electricity used the rate for, the light commercial rate is to cost less, than the residential rate.

For my situation there was only a few Dollars difference,
this is in the US and the way my utility bills.

Thhree-phase Vs two-phase

Thhree-phase Vs two-phase

Much thanks to all for your comments about lowering electrical bills by going from three-phase to two-phase in Mexico. So far we've done nothing. My wife, Lourdes, wants to do a makeover on the house for which we'll have a professional contractor as several of you suggested. We're now back in U.S. at xxxxx. Thanks again, Eugene Smith

Last edited by a moderator:

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Two phase

Two phase

You are probably looking at a split phase should be standard residential 120/240 AC in Mexico as opposed to "Two phase".
A two phase service consists of 4 "hots" and a oversized neutral the phases are 90 deg apart.
AFAIK Two Phase breaker panels are a factory order from Siemens and are more expensive than three phase.
Most new 2 phase services I have seen / worked on consist of a large 4 pole fused disconnect to a gutter then single phase breaker panels taped off for lights/plugs and 4 pole fused disconnects taped off for two phase equipment.
I 3rd the recommendation have 3 licensed electrical contractors bid on the service change. Get word of mouth recommendations.
If by chance they are suggesting you switch from split phase 120/240 to a 220 volt service I would not do this either unless you are running all EU appliances.

beanland

1, 2, 3 Phase

1, 2, 3 Phase

Sounds to me like you have 3-phase 4-wire service (3-fuses) and you could go to V-phase (network, 3-wire 208/120V, 2-fuses) service. You would not reduce energy but the billing rate charged by the POCO could be lower. You need to find out. Same for the conversion, if possible, to 120/240V 1-phase, 3-wire. Do nothing without a "real" contractor and check with the POCO first or you could end up paying more each month.

Status
Not open for further replies.