Three threads

Status
Not open for further replies.
NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
CH EG bars use two self threading screws to attach them to the loadcenter enclosure. The predrilled holes are not deformed in anyway. Individually the screw will not allow for the 3 threads required. Are they getting by this requirment by using two screws?

May I apply this same method when field installing ground bars in the field?

Locally my inspectors are happy with about any ground screw but what about the rest of you.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Where is there a rule that calls for 3 threads? This is part of listed equipment and whatever screw that was used in the listing process is acceptable.
Don

raider1

Staff member
The 2008 NEC section 250.8(A) requires that machine screws and thread forming screws, used to connect grounding conductors and bonding jumpers, engage not less than 2 threads. Here is what that section says:

250.8 Connection of Grounding and Bonding Equipment.
(A) Permitted Methods. Grounding conductors and bonding
jumpers shall be connected by one of the following
means:
(1) Listed pressure connectors
(2) Terminal bars
(3) Pressure connectors listed as grounding and bonding
equipment
(4) Exothermic welding process
(5) Machine screw-type fasteners that engage not less than
two threads or are secured with a nut
(6) Thread-forming machine screws that engage not less
than two threads in the enclosure
(7) Connections that are part of a listed assembly
(8) Other listed means

Chris

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
petersonra said:
i have heard this three thread rule repeated so often that I am almost starting to believe it.
Oh, sure. Next thing we know, you'll believe that you must have a pull-point every 100 feet. :grin:

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Excuse me "two threads".

The point of the question is, was, am I required to use one thread forming screw to get "X"# of threads or may I use two screws to accomplish 250.8(6)? Thank you Chris.

For the sake of this project I have only two ground screws, a box wall thickness that allows only 1 1/2 thread, I dropped my last nut into 6 inches of manure and none of the other 7 options available.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
ptonsparky said:
The point of the question is, was, am I required to use one thread forming screw to get "X"# of threads or may I use two screws to accomplish 250.8(6)? Thank you Chris.

You must comply with the NEC. The manufacturer has the ability to have their equipment tested and then listed.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
ptonsparky said:
The predrilled holes are not deformed in anyway. Individually the screw will not allow for the 3 threads required. Are they getting by this requirment by using two screws?

May I apply this same method when field installing ground bars in the field?

I don't see how using 2 non compliant threaded holes would make the install compliant. If you are asking what I would do and there aren't any other options then I would probably just use one screw and hope for the best.

I hate admitting that I am not perfect. Don't tell my wife she doesn't know yet. :grin:

raider1

Staff member
ptonsparky said:
Excuse me "two threads".

For the sake of this project I have only two ground screws, a box wall thickness that allows only 1 1/2 thread, I dropped my last nut into 6 inches of manure and none of the other 7 options available.

Youe Welcome,

If the equipment grounding bar is a listed piece of equipment then you must install it according to the manufactures instructions.

I don't believe that the NEC allows the use of two screws with only 1 1/2 threads engaged to meet the requirments of 250.8(A) unless they are part of a listed assembly or other listed means.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.