Three-Way Switch to Bypass Motion Detector

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerramundi

Occupation
Licensed Residential Electrician
New to the forum, but have utilized it before. Even though Electricians can be real smart-XXX at times (haha), working through problems in a community like this is a great thing.

Brief introduction and appropriate pandering complete, I have a question about utilizing a three-way switch to bypass a motion detector.

I had the idea to utilize a three-way switch to connect (2) two switch legs to a light.
(1) One switch leg to the motion detector per standard installation/operation and (2) the second switch leg to the lights directly, bypassing the motion detector.
The idea is to provide both the option for standard motion detection operation as well as the option to "permanently" turn that same light on, pending the position of the three-way switch.

My thinking was to give the client the option for "permanently on" backyard lighting in the instance that they are entertaining in the backyard, but also be able to continue to use standard motion detector operation.

Electrically, I'm confident about wiring it this way being safe and not posing any danger... but I'm thinking this might violate UL standards and manufacturer specifications.

Thoughts? Any commentary, criticism is welcome and appreciated.

[Edit: I just realized doing this also eliminates the required "disconnect" for utilization equipment. So let's say we include a single-pole switch that feeds the three-way in this case]

Last edited by a moderator:

gar

Occupation
EE
191002-1343 EDT

Jerramundi:

I would call it a SPDT switch to clearly indicate its logic. What you describe will clearly work. You can also do the same thing with a SPST switch that shunts the photo sensor.

Another thing you could do is use a SPDT with three mechanically stable positions. Center would be off, or call it a selector switch, if you are searching the Internet.

kwired

Electron manager
I see nothing wrong with the idea.

FYI, most motion detection lights have a manual override mode that is triggered by turning the supply power off and then immediately back on. I imagine it can be possible that if you are using the three-way switch to bypass the motion detector, it can be possible to accidentally get it into the override mode when you thought it should be in "automatic" mode. Something to think about or even experiment with when deciding what might be best for your application.

Jerramundi

Occupation
Gar,

Thank you for the input and the suggestion about proper terminology to indicate logic. It's been a while since I was in school and some terminology has escaped me in favor of more retail / lay-person oriented terminology.

I'm am confident this will work. I'm more so concerned about accomplishing this while remaining code compliant. Anyone can jimmy-rig something. I'm trying to do it the right way.

Given that a standard "Three-Way Switch," or two position SPDT, is intended to work in tandem with another switch, I fear my original proposal is in violation of manufacturer's specifications.
Furthermore, I fear my original proposal would be in violation of the code required disconnect for the lighting utilization equipment. as both available positions would result in an energized load.

The suggestion about a three position SPDT (center-off) is an intriguing idea.
A quick internet search revealed the Leviton 1256-W https://www.leviton.com/en/products/1256-w

It seems this switch is intended to work as a stand-alone control with an available "off position." So that accomplishes what I'm looking for while remaining code compliant. THANK YOU!

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
New to the forum, but have utilized it before. Even though Electricians can be real smart-XXX at times (haha), working through problems in a community like this is a great thing.

Brief introduction and appropriate pandering complete, I have a question about utilizing a three-way switch to bypass a motion detector.

I had the idea to utilize a three-way switch to connect (2) two switch legs to a light.
(1) One switch leg to the motion detector per standard installation/operation and (2) the second switch leg to the lights directly, bypassing the motion detector.
The idea is to provide both the option for standard motion detection operation as well as the option to "permanently" turn that same light on, pending the position of the three-way switch.

My thinking was to give the client the option for "permanently on" backyard lighting in the instance that they are entertaining in the backyard, but also be able to continue to use standard motion detector operation.

Electrically, I'm confident about wiring it this way being safe and not posing any danger... but I'm thinking this might violate UL standards and manufacturer specifications.

Thoughts? Any commentary, criticism is welcome and appreciated.

[Edit: I just realized doing this also eliminates the required "disconnect" for utilization equipment. So let's say we include a single-pole switch that feeds the three-way in this case]

I don't see a problem using a three way which is just a spdt switch.

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
If you’re concerned about voiding it’s listing, tell the customer how to use the over-ride it already comes with. Most motion lights have it.

Jerramundi

Occupation
The Leviton 1256-W switch has momentary contacts. I think you would want the maintained contact version 1281-W:

https://www.leviton.com/en/products/1281-w

Thank you for that clarification Synchro. I guess I mistakenly assumed the device was default maintained contact. Great catch!

Additionally, thank you to the rest of you for your input. If I knew ya'll personally, I'd buy you a brew! Haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.