Thrmal Imaging Testing

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimbro

Hi all, Does anyone know if OSHA or NETA (National Electrical Testing Association)or anyone else may require thermal imaging on electrical equipment will be mandatory, or if this type of testing is primarily for maintenance departments or third party companies?

charlie tuna

since infrared scanning is primarily a "none destructive preventative maintenance" it is not mandatory by anyone. because of it's past success it is highly recommended by most insurance companies and many provide a discounted rate to building owners who have their systems scanned on a regular basis. and the discount more than covers the cost of the scan.

basically as a building is scanned and problems corrected over a period of years the problem areas are reduced each year. and the building's electrical problems decrease drastically! poor electrical connections cause many other problems before the actual "real" problem is found. maybe you have a bad contact in a fused elevator disconnect switch -- this might cause the loss of a motor generator two or three times, or maybe the motor leads will burn up in the peckerhead -- or maybe electronic board burning up in the elevator control panel! while all along it was the disconnect. now, the disconnect problem is answered and the entire system feeding that elevator clears up! remember , many building have "down time insurance" and using infrared thermography pays off for these insurance companies because it works!!

zog

"because it works"

If done corectly, IR scanning is not just point and shoot, operators require training on materials, emmistivity, delta T values, etc.

charlie tuna

i have been in this industry since 1989 and the biggest problem from my veiwpoint is unqualified camera operators not recognizing actual problems while identifying normal hot spots as being problems. this reduces the effectiveness of this important preventative maintenance process in our industry. electrical systems need to be scanned by qualified electricians who know whats normally hot and "not"!! i've seen other companies reports suggesting replacing "overload heaters" on large chillers because they were "abnormally hot" !! while overlooking major bus duct torque problems in the same hospital!!! and their rates were more than twice as expensive as our's!!!

masterelect1

Required?

Required?

jimbro said:
Hi all, Does anyone know if OSHA or NETA (National Electrical Testing Association)or anyone else may require thermal imaging on electrical equipment will be mandatory, or if this type of testing is primarily for maintenance departments or third party companies?

I don't think so. My last job was at a food manufacturing facility, and we used TI as a preventative maintenance tool. It can be very effective when done properly, and when the maintenance personnel know what hot spots are normal and those which are cause for concern.

brian john

I have been involved with IR since 1980, my IR techs are certified from Level I to Level III techs, I just recently was certified. Little slow on the mark, I guess 27 YEARS?

Status
Not open for further replies.