Throated Chase Nipple

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
Just ran across this at work. I’ve used chase nipples for years on end but never saw a throated one before. Hadn’t really thought about it before, as most of them are already pretty smooth, with rounded edges. But these would be a plus if using wire or cable with fragile insulation.

Attachments

• A686F55A-553F-4313-8B71-14E965A18A6B.jpeg
    A686F55A-553F-4313-8B71-14E965A18A6B.jpeg
    188.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 807BD1F3-CB58-47A0-8716-D48D174946E7.jpeg
    807BD1F3-CB58-47A0-8716-D48D174946E7.jpeg
    179.2 KB · Views: 12

kwired

Electron manager
Just ran across this at work. I’ve used chase nipples for years on end but never saw a throated one before. Hadn’t really thought about it before, as most of them are already pretty smooth, with rounded edges. But these would be a plus if using wire or cable with fragile insulation.
This is kind of product demand you get when clueless people are inspectors. The threaded end possibly has more need for such insulated insert, the other end is smooth and rounded enough it shouldn't be necessary.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
That looks like a T&B product. I have seen ss steel emt connectors and LTMC connectors with plastic inserts. Would be some applications for these connectors, but it would be a special order from mfg

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Reminds of a job we went in after someone had hung wrap fluorescents and wired with EMT on the surface, needed to pull in a few more wires. The EMT was cut with a tubing cutter, not deburred. Had to take it all down and ream ends of EMT

Status
Not open for further replies.