Tightening every lug

Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd0x1

This plagues the building our office is in. Expensive building built about 18 years ago, sat empty before we moved in a year ago. Loose conduit fittings. Device screws barely tight leading to burned up receptacles. A $0.39 120v toggle switch on a 277v lighting circuit (that blew up). Stranded EGCs under wafer head sheetmetal screws in boxes. Drives me nuts.

Tulsa Electrician

Occupation
Electrician
My favorite is why do I have to tighten the fitting. It has a green wire in the pipe. So who cares. This goes hand in Hand with why put a green screw I the box.

How sad

Tulsa Electrician

Occupation
Electrician
As far as lugs go I supervise or do them my self and mark them and put my initials inside the panel/ trans etc. Then take pic and log.

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
Maybe that is why I am so slow.
I check and re check, just the way I am. To me, an electrician should be able to connect and terminate wires properly that's probably the most important task we do. When I do a panel I go back through it before I power it up give the wires a tug and make sure everything is tight. Once in a while I get a surprise.

Not claiming I never made a mistake

sparkybob86

Occupation
electrician
when terminating larger conductors I always move the conductor around with my free hand as it seems to let the strands settle in behind the lug.There were many a time when before energizing equipment I would check terminations by grabbing each conductor just ahead of the lug and move them around ,strands would settle and was able to get full turns

tthh

Occupation
Retired Engineer
New house. New owners just moved in a few days before. Wanted a circuit in the unfinished basement for a second refrigerator. Installed new circuit and I'm tacking the staple into the plywood (where the panel is also mounted) for the romex and the lady of the house is yelling that all the lights in the kitchen are flickering. Long story short...EVERY lug on the neutral bar in the panel was loose.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
New house. New owners just moved in a few days before. Wanted a circuit in the unfinished basement for a second refrigerator. Installed new circuit and I'm tacking the staple into the plywood (where the panel is also mounted) for the romex and the lady of the house is yelling that all the lights in the kitchen are flickering. Long story short...EVERY lug on the neutral bar in the panel was loose.
What do you expect...it was beer thirty on a Friday!!

yesterlectric

Occupation
Electrician
Other than just lack of care one area where this failure can happen is on larger industrial jobs where one contractor does the work and a third party electrical testing company is to mobilize once to test large segments of the work. Has to be coordinated when things can be tightened down. Large customer owned substations utilizing air insulated bus are an example of this. Torque marks are one good antidote, but you have to make sure it's just not someone going through 2 days later and painting everything with the assumtion that they or someone else torqued it.

Status
Not open for further replies.