Time Frame...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Occupation
Inspector
I would like to know if someone would answer a question for me:

When did the requirement for a room to have a switched lighting outlet come into play?

Another question:

I have looked over 406 trying to find the requirement for a floor receptacle in a residential bedroom to have a special / "spill proof" cover. I would appreciate it if someone would point me in the right direction to get the answer to this cover issue.

As always,

Thank you

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
210-26 was a new code section in the 1975 NEC which outlines switched lighting outlet requirements.

Regarding floor boxes, standard listed floor boxes could be used in a residential bedroom without additional protections.

JFletcher

Cant remember if the plastic floor boxes have an o-ring on the cover but I know the brass ones Ive seen do. Most HOs want the smaller single outlet boxes instead of the bigger ones you'd see at say a hotel ballroom. Keep in mind that bedroom receptacles have to be AFCI protected.

Occupation
Inspector
210-26 was a new code section in the 1975 NEC which outlines switched lighting outlet requirements.

Regarding floor boxes, standard listed floor boxes could be used in a residential bedroom without additional protections.

Thanks. I'm working on a Sellers Home Inspection Report and the report says:

1 -- "a light fixture and switch needs to be added in the front bedroom"

2 -- "floor outlets in Living room and bedroom need spill proof covers added".

This house was built in the late 40's and no evidence of remodeling has taken place. I don't think the floor boxes are anything special.

So would the lack of lighting in a room be Grandfathered in or do you think the switch is required?

GerryB

1 -- "a light fixture and switch needs to be added in the front bedroom"

2 -- "floor outlets in Living room and bedroom need spill proof covers added".

This house was built in the late 40's and no evidence of remodeling has taken place. I don't think the floor boxes are anything special.

So would the lack of lighting in a room be Grandfathered in or do you think the switch is required?
So a house that old with no remodeling must have plenty of areas not up to code, pretty amazing the HI points what he did. I was reading their guidelines not long ago and if something was code at the time they are not supposed to write it up. They usually concentrate on fuses, Federal Pacific panels, open j-boxes, ungrounded outlets, reverse polarity. None of those?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

1 -- "a light fixture and switch needs to be added in the front bedroom" No.

2 -- "floor outlets in Living room and bedroom need spill proof covers added". No. They're required to be listed floor boxes.

:)

kwired

Electron manager
The room requires (but may not have back in 1940's) a lighting outlet that is wall switch controlled. But a switched receptacle can be used to meet this requirement - doesn't need to be a ceiling mounted luminaire.

Also there is no requirement to put the switch in the same room as the luminaire that is controlled - per the wording in the NEC you could put the switch for the top floor bedroom in NW corner of house down in the kitchen that is two floors below and opposite side of the house if you wish.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
I see 2014 NEC 210.70(A)(1) first in the 1975 NEC 210-26(a) it moved to 210-70(a) in '81.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Regarding floor receptacles that requirement goes a ways back, and relies on UL.
1947 NEC 4162 "receptacles located in floors shall be enclosed in floor boxes especially approved for the purpose"..... even in the 1918 NEC one could construe it from the frequent mention "approved for the purpose" in there. I would replace those.

Fitzdrew516

Also there is no requirement to put the switch in the same room as the luminaire that is controlled - per the wording in the NEC you could put the switch for the top floor bedroom in NW corner of house down in the kitchen that is two floors below and opposite side of the house if you wish.

Check your energy code regarding that issue. I don't work residential, but I know for commercial/industrial work energy codes require local control for each space.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent

Does it ever disturb you that you know something like this?:D (where is the emoticon with a cane?)

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Does it ever disturb you that you know something like this?:D (where is the emoticon with a cane?)

Even 1975 was before my time but I do have code books back to 1940 so I can flip through and see when the article first appeared. I also think about all of the old houses around here that I've worked in and when they were built. :cool:

kwired

Electron manager
Check your energy code regarding that issue. I don't work residential, but I know for commercial/industrial work energy codes require local control for each space.

Ok......done it has no requirements at all:) Not saying there isn't one that applies to me somehow, but am saying I have never had any AHJ make me comply with such a code.

mgookin

Just because a HI cites something and he's wrong, you still have the issue of a prospective customer has now been frightened about it and the seller may be willing to pay for it to make the deal happen. You get work, buyer gets ease of mind, seller gets his house sold.

kwired

Electron manager
Lucky guy! Maybe from now on I should only do work in Nebraska :cool:
I can't tell you if you would run into energy code enforcement in the larger cities, but out in the sticks - it is pretty much unheard of. Doesn't mean there haven't been incentives from POCO's to change over to more efficient lighting and equipment at times - but is totally voluntary. I've still had some decide not to upgrade at times because the estimated payback period wasn't short enough - even with a rebate from POCO.

Status
Not open for further replies.