Timer

Status
Not open for further replies.

laketime

I am looking for a timer that can handle 120v/2 circuits/largest load will be (9) 150 watt metal halide fixtures and it needs to be able to handle photo cell on/timer off.

hurk27

I have not used mechanical timers in a while since I found out about these small 7-Day Astronomic timers, 3 year battery back up, adjust to changes of seasons as they calculate sunrise and sun set automatically so no photo cells ever needed, they will handle a 20 amp resistance load, but for most applications I use a small Square D contactor that can be purchased less then $30.00 these timers can be obtained online for around $40.00 and have been very reliable, what I like about them is that they are a set and forget timer, no being called out to reset the time after a power failure, the program is very easy to set if you follow the instructions, and very easy to modify, but you must set it up in the steps outlined in the instructions.

Here is where I get them from:

http://www.smarthome.com/25089AL/Intermatic-EI600LAC-7-Day-Electronic-In-Wall-Timer-Almond/p.aspx

When I install them outdoors I just use a WP box and a in-use cover for a GFCI receptacle, and install the small contactor in a small 4x4x4 PVC JB box.

hurk27

I often have PC's working with timers here. Many times during summer months when the storms roll in it gets very dark quickly.

The timer does have dry contacts, and programing it to turn on after daylight, then off at the set time with a PC in series with the contacts would provide for this, but would defeet the astro part of the timer, but at least it would be battery backed up, and auto adjust for daylight saveings time, and power failure would not be a problem.

laketime

See my link in post #5.

I often have PC's working with timers here. Many times during summer months when the storms roll in it gets very dark quickly.

link is post 5 isn't working for me could you please repost. city is calling for photocell on/time clock off, probably for the reasons you suggested. we are in n.Idaho on a lake and storms can roll in and get dark quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.