tips & Alter Framing ! ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cadpoint

I was just wondering how often you'll ask the framer for alterations, add or remove a stud, or just ask for a custom to be done ? Or, one may ask if you may alter the framing spacing, Alt. structural run or add your own to install that new beauty item.

Granted I worked bigger jobs i was just looking for advice, tips or tricks of the smaller ones. I frankly find the other trades will work with each other, and the horse trading can happen.

Most building codes cover use of additional framing if like construction.

I'll have to say the framer that I've worked several jobs including the last one with really looked out for us, and not that he didn't pick-up a few cases ...

It's not that there isn't a strap or support already designed and manufactured for our usuage, maybe I should have asked for framing stories...

mdshunk

I just move whatever's in my road, or get some scraps and build what I need. I've never really had a need to involve a framer in much. That's why they leave the extra framing lay around... for the plumber, electrician, and HAVC guys to use to do whatever they need.

ultramegabob

I will add blocking where its needed, but I typically dont move anything that they have installed. although just the other day I had to move a couple of steel studs that a panel was in between to allow room for a 2" conduit to get around a bar joist that was right in the way, the framer just told me to unsrew it and slide it where I wanted, it took me all of about 5 minutes to have it exactly where I needed, I love steel studs!

JohnJ0906

mdshunk said:
I just move whatever's in my road, or get some scraps and build what I need. I've never really had a need to involve a framer in much. That's why they leave the extra framing lay around... for the plumber, electrician, and HAVC guys to use to do whatever they need.

I generally do the same, for most things - not structural/load bearing though. I will leave that to the pros.

480sparky

mdshunk said:
..... That's why they leave the extra framing lay around... for the plumber, electrician, and HAVC guys to use to do whatever they need.

Funny. I thought it was because they're too lazy to clean up.;)

mdshunk

480sparky said:
Funny. I thought it was because they're too lazy to clean up.;)
Maybe that too, sometimes. I normally find that the stuff that's clearly scrap is in the dumpster or burn pile, and the longer straight pieces are still piled up here and there.

hillbilly

Last friday I moved a stud bay over about 12" to give clearance for a MLO panel in a mechanical room.
Seems the A/C contractor set his unit a little too close to my working space.
I just whipped out the Saws-All, cut one stud loose, moved it 12", and then nailed in another (extra) stud....there were a few extra laying around.
The framers were already gone.

Just part of the job in my world.
steve

electricalperson

i never really had to ask the framer to move anything. if its a stud thats not needed i remove it myself. i dont notch joists at all and i also cut my own pieces of wood for fan boxes and nail it myself. i worked on a union job (im non union) and the carpenters had to do everything. we were not allowed to cut a 13 inch piece of wood to mount a box too the carpenters had to do it. first time i cut a piece of wood they said i was taking all the union work. by the end of the job we were all friends

hillbilly

electricalperson said:
. i also cut my own pieces of wood for fan boxes and nail it myself.

Me too.

Out of curosity, what size lumber do you use between ceiling joists for hanging a ceiling fan?

I will usually use a 2x4 (16" OC joists) and (2) #16 nails on each end.
Nothing smaller, but I will go bigger ....whatevers available.

I know a lot of electricians use the kit with a metal spreader bar, but I like to do a little carpentry occasionally.:)

steve

cschmid

I only use the metal spreader bars on old work..I use 2x4 with hurricane straps on new and remodels where the ceiling is out..I go between the rafter or joists and the hurricane straps offer the eases of screw gun no nails..

electricalperson

hillbilly said:
Me too.

Out of curosity, what size lumber do you use between ceiling joists for hanging a ceiling fan?

I will usually use a 2x4 (16" OC joists) and (2) #16 nails on each end.
Nothing smaller, but I will go bigger ....whatevers available.

I know a lot of electricians use the kit with a metal spreader bar, but I like to do a little carpentry occasionally.:)

steve
i usually use whatever scrap is lying on the ground. usually a 2x4. sometimes i get the metal bracket but normally its just as easy to cut ap iece of nail it

TOOL_5150

I am the same as Marc, I cut out whatever I need out of my way. I just recently [still in the middle of] upgrading my own subpanel and had one of those 12" panels, and the new one is 14.5 x 33.5, so I had to do a little cutting.

~Matt

iaov

If it's easy , I do it myself. There is always scrap available. If it is more complex I ask the carpenters to do it. I also am willing to hold a board for them, lend a ladder, fix a saw, etc. Most of the time I'm on job sights with guys that I've worked with before and co-operation is never a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.