Title 24 2016 Sec 141.0(b)(2) J code understanding

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get puzzled by the code requirement of Title 24 2016 Sec 141.0(b)(2) J:
Luminaire component modifications in place that include replacing the ballasts or drivers and the associated lamps in the luminaire, permanently changing the light source of the luminaire, or changing the optical system of the luminaire, where 70 or more existing luminaires are modified either on any single floor of a building or, where multiple tenants inhabit the same floor, in any single tenant space, in any single year, shall not prevent or disable the operation of any multi-level, shut-off, or daylighting controls, and shall:
i. Meet the lighting power allowance in Section 140.6 and comply with Table 141.0-E; or
ii. In office, retail, and hotel occupancies have at least 50 percent, and in all other occupancies have at least 35 percent, lower rated power at full light output as compared to the original luminaires prior to being modified, and meet the requirements of Sections 130.1(a)1, 2, and 3, 130.1(c)1A through C, 130.1(c)2, 130.1(c)3, 130.1(c)4, 130.1(c)5, 130.1(c)6A, and for parking garages 130.1(c)7B

For example, if there is a office TI project, the total area might be 1000 sqft. Our scope is only a 200 sqft office.

My questions are as follows:
1. Do we need to provide multi-lighting control for this 200 sqft office? My understanding is that we need to meet Title 24 requirement for this area and provide multi-lighting control as the total area is more than 100 sqft.
2. Do we also need to replace lamps for the rest of the buildings to meet Title 24 requirement?
My understanding is that as we only replace less than 70 luminaires in the 200 sqft office, we do not need to replace lamps for the rest of the buildings to meet Title 24 requirement.

Is my understanding correct?

Thanks,
David

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor

the answer is yes and no. You almost always need to comply in some way with the energy code. look at the section relating to remodel. You have several exceptions allowed.
If the office is not new square footage and no new walls then you will not need acceptance testing or multi level lighting from what is just read.

more project info is needed

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~

For example, if there is a office TI project, the total area might be 1000 sqft. Our scope is only a 200 sqft office.

My questions are as follows:
1. Do we need to provide multi-lighting control for this 200 sqft office? My understanding is that we need to meet Title 24 requirement for this area and provide multi-lighting control as the total area is more than 100 sqft.
2. Do we also need to replace lamps for the rest of the buildings to meet Title 24 requirement?
My understanding is that as we only replace less than 70 luminaires in the 200 sqft office, we do not need to replace lamps for the rest of the buildings to meet Title 24 requirement.

Is my understanding correct?

Thanks,
David

first question would be, what is the scope of the work permitted?

what is permitted, obviously is what needs to comply. if this is
a retrofit, there was a froth of indecision last year about what the
rules were going to be for lighting retrofits.

what i've seen is that there is a wealth of "fake news" about what
is required, and if certification is needed, etc.

i'd say the first question is yes, the second question is no.
if a daylighting zone has over 120 watts of downlighting, daylight
harvesting also applies.

you also can't disable existing lighting controls. for example, if
the space is part of a larger space that contains demand response
controls, they need to stay in place.

when i'm certifying something, i'm certifying the work done under
a permit, with a valid permit number, using approved drawings of
that work.

if i have a hallway to certify on the floor of a building, only that hallway
is part of the cert. none of the offices on that floor matter.

when they get remodeled, and have permits on them, then they matter.

bewing

Title 24

Title 24

David,

If you are remodeling the office in California, you only need to meet code for the spaces that are undergoing the TI. You will need an automatic shutoff control no matter what in a TI (vacancy sensor). Past that, it is a matter of whether or not you need to meet multilevel controls. Since most of the LED troffers come with 0-10V dimming drivers whether you ask for them or not (it is cheaper for manufacturer's), you might as well throw in a 0-10V dimming switch with ceiling mounted occupancy sensors and call it a day. Current code says (2017) that if you cut the space wattage per ft by 1/2, then you only need to comply with shut off requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.