TN-C System

Status
Not open for further replies.

electrics

I see in some sources that mass of a device is connected the PEN conductor directly and obligatorily, and it is said that it is forbidden that the mass is connected to the N terminal of the load. So why is this so? What happens if we dont bond the mass to the PEN conductor ? Can you give me some idea?

dbuckley

The defininition of a TN-C system is one in which the neutral and protective functions (a/k/a ground or earth) are combined in a single conductor throughout the system. This single conductor combines the function of Protective Earth (PE) and Neutral (N) and is thus called a PEN.

Thus in an installation if there is a N terminal on the thing, you connect the PEN to it. if theres a earth or ground terminal, you connect the PEN to that as well.

Althougn TN-C is the global standard in utility distribution, TN-C is rarely used beyond the demarcation point where the Utility hands over to the consumer. Certainly in the UK, the Electricity Safety, Quality and Continuity Regulations prohibits the use of TN-C in a consumer?s installation.

Where are you that allows TN-C in an installation?

electrics

I just wonder of it, no application I mean, So I think it has to do with the priorities in terms of protection against faults. So it is required that PEN conductor is bonded to the body of the load directly rather than jumping it out of N terminal of the load... I dont know but why it is so..

Status
Not open for further replies.