To all the EC's on here... The future??

Status
Not open for further replies.

TOOL_5150

The company I work for is hurting bad, I am getting almost no work. The company owner said 2011 is looking better than this year. Do any of you guys agree with that? Do you feel there will be an upturn in 2011?

Thanks for any input.

~Matt

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
I sure hope so. I started in 2008 and it's mostly been very thin. I've had 4 or 5 good months at best. I subbed with some friends that helped me survive. I've had a little decent work this past month and supposedly have 2 decent jobs coming up. So I hope that means things are improving. Hard to tell for sure. Time will tell. I've been 10 minutes away from shutting down several times.

Hope things pick up for you. Where are you located? Duh, I see, Bay area.

zog

The company I work for is hurting bad, I am getting almost no work. The company owner said 2011 is looking better than this year. Do any of you guys agree with that? Do you feel there will be an upturn in 2011?

Thanks for any input.

~Matt

Depends on what you do. Industrial is not comming back, all those jobs that have been shipped overseas are gone for good. There is still a large surplus of homes out there so I don't see resi comming back anytime soon either.

Commercial seems to have the most promise because that is based on consumer spending, which will eventually turn the corner, I hope.

Ruff-N

From talking to the ECs I know the bulk of the work is as always, (1) service work (2) Remodels in residential and some commercial (3) Everything else is hit or miss.

But hey after 2011 and Armaggedon everyone will have plenty of work putting this world back together :grin: Just thought I'd throw that in for a laugh :grin:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
"I've got to admit it's getting better, a little better all the time. (It couldn't get much worse!)" ~ The Beatles

hurk27

From talking to the ECs I know the bulk of the work is as always, (1) service work (2) Remodels in residential and some commercial (3) Everything else is hit or miss.

But hey after 2011 and Armageddon everyone will have plenty of work putting this world back together :grin: Just thought I'd throw that in for a laugh :grin:

so far thats right where I have been staying, hitting the service calls, and small work, its not much and been real bad starting over after the company I worked for went under, but its something.;)

stevenje

work will be slow for the next few years

The leaders of this country have got to get the manufacturing base back on our soil. No jobs, no recovery. Overseas manufacturing and outsourcing have finally reached the tipping point. Always remember BIG business and the stockholders don't care if you are employed or not. If they did, we wouldn't be in this mess. It's all about greed. I'll get off my soapbox now.

hurk27

The leaders of this country have got to get the manufacturing base back on our soil. No jobs, no recovery. Overseas manufacturing and outsourcing have finally reached the tipping point. Always remember BIG business and the stockholders don't care if you are employed or not. If they did, we wouldn't be in this mess. It's all about greed. I'll get off my soapbox now.

Manufacturing going over seas is just part of it, the economy failed when the loans failed because this kept people buying houses, no one can go out and just by a house with cash, the housing market was very heavily dependent upon the banks loaning the money to home buyers, when this collapsed housing collapsed, then the economy, Why? because construction work was one job they couldn't ship over seas, it was done here, construction was one of the biggest industries in America, that has kept our economy going in the bad times that even started way back before the big collapse, it put more workes in the un-employment lines then any other industry in history. get the building back going and you will get the economy back going, to do this you have to get the banks back going and loaning money.

Of course you also now have millions of failed loans and people with bad credit who now can't get loans, so it will just spiral down till somone over rides the loan making procidures and maybe forgive some of these bad depts caused by the economy, what the real answer is, I have no idea?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
The leaders of this country have got to get the manufacturing base back on our soil.

Just what would you suggest they do?

In any case, the situation we are in has proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that the things government does have created the problem. Why would more of the same kinds of failed policies be beneficial?

There are some very obvious things that could be done, but none of them are politically viable. There are just too many entities leeching off the productive. And they vote en bloc.

I started to give a few examples, but I figured it would be deleted as being political so I removed them.

At this point, I figure there is little anyone can do about the situation, besides doing what they can to keep their own heads above water.

Last edited:

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Well, I'm not an EC, but we just took a 3.97% reduction in salary and we did that with no raises for a 3 year contract. The reason we went three years is that it looks like recovery may be as far as 5 years out and we didn't want to get hit with another reduction next year if things got worse.

jazer

my company's startegy is bid low with the new General's and keep old customers happy with quality work. We work for the biggest manufacturer of nuclear facilities in the world (you can guess who) and they are our bread and butter. If you have 'em, keep 'em.

iwire

Staff member
If I start posting my thoughts, Scott will poke fun

Rightly so, I don't take medical advice from electrical forums either. :grin:

If someone earns a living doing electrical work they are only a hack DIY when it comes to predicting the future. :)

and Bob may close the thread......

In the blink of an eye. :grin:

ECs must get lean and tough

I suspect that the ones that are still alive are already lean.:)

TOOL_5150

Rightly so, I don't take medical advice from electrical forums either. :grin:

If someone earns a living doing electrical work they are only a hack DIY when it comes to predicting the future. :)

In the blink of an eye. :grin:

I suspect that the ones that are still alive are already lean.:)

Could you close it Bob? I got all the real answers I think I am going to get out of these guys anyway.

~Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.