to buy or not to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

justin

Me and my father own a commercial electrical contracting company in central florida. He has done well in the past but times are a bit harder right now. He doesn't keep up with trade trends or even do any type of job tracking and couldn't tell you what his profit margins were for a particular job. when things go wrong on a job he simply gets frustrated and says we need to work harder, as opposed to being able to identify the actual problem and deal with it. we have recently had a salesman from a very successful estimating software company come to our office and give us a demo. we loved the program and i really think it would do wonders towards allowing us to be successful in the future by being able to track progress throughout the job and deal with issues as they come up as opposed to after the job is over and there is no money and no answers as to why. we do about 750,000$ worth of work annually and are now down to a 4 man shop. the problem lies with the cost of the software. since we can't afford to buy it outright at this time we have to lease it, in turn costing us about 150% of the original cost in the end. I need to know if we should go ahead and bite the bullet or wait til later. it seems to me we would be back at square 1 if we waited. I am open to any and all suggestions and opinions and stories of success or failure when it comes to this, i really appreciate it guys and gals! justin

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Re: to buy or not to buy?

Justin, have you looked at others products?

I dont know what company you are considering, but I'd check into some others also.

If a salesman is aware of the fact that you are looking at others products, you might see a whole different deal presented to you.

Roger

jimwalker

Without some $$$$ info kind of hard to say.Would be concerned that if you buy it and it becomes outdated in a few years,that your still back at square 1.While a 200 man company could well aford thousands for the best maybe there is something close to it that can handle your needs.Tracking is a must if your going to win.

justin

the system we're looking at is VERY expensive. We have looked at a few but they don't seem to have as much to offer, the others don't "seem" to be as productive or user friendly. I would love to hear suggestions about specific software brands as far as what others use and why you like it and what you don't like to get a better overall opinion from real world users. ALSO, if possible maybe some ideas and opinions about job tracking and how you guys keep up with your jobs, of course without giving out any company secrets. Thanks again and I hope to get more feedback! justin

peter

Justin,
I really have no business offering advice on things I don't know about firsthand but I have been following this Estimating forum at JLC.com for some time:
http://www.jlconline.com/cgi-bin/jlconline.storefront/400cb744000b3fd5271a401e1d2905d9/Catalog/1133
If that doesn't work, then go to jlc.com and click on "Forums" and then on Bob Kovaks Estimating section. [JLC is Journal of Light Construction]

But it seems to me that your company needs to be keeping some kind of records. Compare your bids with your actual costs. Maybe use Excel to work your bids.
JLC
~Peter

jim sutton

Justin,

I know what your going thru: too busy doing the work to do paperwork. It can be hard, but once you get used to it, it becomes routine. I wouldnt buy an expensive software package. You can track job costs in quickbooks, you just have to keep up with time and materials by the job and then enter them. It may not have all the bells and whistles as the one your looking at but it cost a whole lot less.

Also, take a look at this web site web page , I bought his book and it has a lot of good material on organizing an electrical company.

Best Regards,
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.