To continue or not

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbelectric777

Hi Friends, I have electrical contractor and inspectors license's in two states, with poor in coming business I am considering just not doing my CE because its getting expensive. Except NJ , the DCA pays for it and some credits are reciprocal toward my NJ contractor lic. Pa, I have to pay it all out of pocket and Im stayn here because I have a home with a low mortgage but theres no work and since the state has no state board for electricians the competition is incredible, the inspectors have no experience and work for peanuts and theres no third party companies makin any money because theres a ton of guys who were grandfathered, its really a mess. So I was thinking about keeping my NJ electrician and sub code official and gettin rid of my Pa. Also thinkin that taking work as a projects manager would be better than my small two man operation here because I hadda layoff my own son ! I dipped in my savings for em, he has a baby, what do you guys think? I may work out of town on PM assignments moving plants or whatever. I guess I also wanna know how you guys are doin? Ya workn or what? I had the job as nightime instructor for a college but at the last minute they cancelled the course for low enrollement. Im 44 with an all around background and specialize in industrial, highrise and logic controls. Any advice from my fellow power mongers?????:confused:

jbelectric777

one good thing

one good thing

One positive thing is if I take a project manager position for a while is I can get away from the wife for a while..... She can be the cook again....... Maybe I can get my son some work, never know. Im covered in NJ til 2014 for inspector and 2012 for contractor, I just dont know what my best options are. Thanks for any help fellas. Jim

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
If the relatively modest cost of continuing education to keep your licenses current is that big of an issue to you, I think you may indeed have to seriously consider another line of work.

It seems like for whatever reasons, you are not making it. I am not sure the reason(s) really matter much.

If you can find a regular paying gig, you might be better served to take it.

Status
Not open for further replies.