Toaster sparks destructive fire in Montgomery

Status
Not open for further replies.

celtic

MONTGOMERY, NJ -- A raging fire that police said was started by a toaster oven destroyed a house in the Skillman section of town Monday morning.

large_Montgomery%20Fire%20%282%29.jpg

large_Montgomery%20Fire%20%281%29.jpg

Other than the obvious (unplugging), how could an event such as this be prevented?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
celtic said:

Other than the obvious (unplugging), how could an event such as this be prevented?

Don't leave the Pop Tarts unattended. (I'm not saying this caused that fire). Believe it or not Pop Tarts have caused many house fires. If you look closely there is a warning label on the box. Seems that the sugary coating melts and the thing gets stuck in the toaster. Next thing you know it bursts into flames.

360Youth

infinity said:
Don't leave the Pop Tarts unattended. (I'm not saying this caused that fire). Believe it or not Pop Tarts have caused many house fires. If you look closely there is a warning label on the box. Seems that the sugary coating melts and the thing gets stuck in the toaster. Next thing you know it bursts into flames.

I can remember being a kid and making toast and cheese in a toaster oven. Somehow, it caught fire and my first instinct was to toss wire on it. It might have been a good idea to unplug it first.:rolleyes: Thankfully, all was well and fire was out quickly.:smile:

stickboy1375

360Youth said:
I can remember being a kid and making toast and cheese in a toaster oven. Somehow, it caught fire and my first instinct was to toss wire on it. It might have been a good idea to unplug it first.:rolleyes: Thankfully, all was well and fire was out quickly.:smile:

What kind of wire? :grin:

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
celtic said:

MONTGOMERY, NJ -- A raging fire that police said was started by a toaster oven destroyed a house in the Skillman section of town Monday morning.

large_Montgomery%20Fire%20%282%29.jpg

large_Montgomery%20Fire%20%281%29.jpg

my wife is going to be so pissed when she finds out you snapped a picture of her cooking! all kidding aside, she got my ladder out one day and took down smoke detectors because they annoyed her when she was trying to cook. bless her heart.

stickboy1375

The only thing that would have saved that house is if the toaster automatically shut it self off (after so many minutes) or had some kind of thermal protection, which probably would be too late to work anyhow... or my personal favorite SPRINKLER HEADS....

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I had some toast catch on fire in my toaster oven once.

I think the butter I put on it melted through the bread and fell onto the heating element.

Fortunately, i was standing there when it happened. I just opened it up and pulled the burning toast out on the counter (its an under counter toaster oven).

Status
Not open for further replies.